Ford Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
EF & ZH owner
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes my car wont start at all, You'll turn it to the start position where normally the car will kick over, yet I receive nothing. No click, no wind, nothing. When the ignition is swithced onto the on position the smartlock light doesnt continuosly flash, so it can't be a problem with smart lock. I also checked the start relay and thats fine, and also the fuel relay. They are both fine, I noticed though when I was chasing the problem underneth the dash, when I try to start it and I wiggle the wire and tap the ignition barrel it kicks over.. what could this be? a buggered ignition barrel? HELP!

cheers, rob

·
Registered
28 Posts
Probably the Smartlock module. Do a search for my previous post on this subject titled Starting Problems. Date 15/12/2001.

·
NON TURBO XF....
240 Posts
i read a post on this ages ago either on this forum or fordmods and it turned out that the end of the ignition barrel had come loose and was falling out of the bottom of the barrel. all you need to do was to push it back in and while holding it in there is (i think) three metal tabs you push in to hold it up...i hope that makes sense and it helps you out. good luck with it!

·
EF & ZH owner
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
maybe its the contacts in the barrel itself.. ill rip it apart tonight and see if i cant find the problem!

·
known as tibbo
2,033 Posts
Try the barrel first if that doesn't work look into the inhibitor switch.. Next time it won't go try moving the stick to "n" or pushing it towards the dash in "P"

·
EF & ZH owner
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
already done that, its not the inhibitor switch. had it replaced about 6months ago if that.. how hard are the barrels to pull apart?

·
known as tibbo
2,033 Posts
Yor dont want to pull it apart, just remove the lower shroud off your stering wheel and push the back connector firmly into the barrell

·
EF & ZH owner
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
could it be the contacts inside though? ive already done that..

·
EF & ZH owner
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes i have. it is my ignition barrel. the smart lock system is fine, this is one of the first things that i checked.

·
known as tibbo
2,033 Posts
So you want to replace the barrell? You have to remove the two sheer bolts in the bracket (also have the key in accessories) and then it will come out.. The 'sheer' bolts can be abit of a pain

1 - 11 of 11 Posts