Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Faster than Zyrtec
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, we all know that there will be 12 days of double demerit points on over Xmas, we see the signs on billboards, u hear it mentioned in conversation, there is just one thing (other than the fact AP proved it doesnt really work); It seems that someone from the RTA thinks its very clever not to let anyone know when this 12 day period actually starts or ends; did it start thurs night or does it start friday and when does it end?

- Dave

·
Registered
625 Posts
W.A. is doing the same thing. Starts Dec 19th and ends Jan 4 2004.
Interestingly, Queensland trialled this last year, and are not continuing with it.
Why ?, because it does nothing to reduce the road toll.

·
Faster than Zyrtec
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NSW has done it previous years, this is just the first year they seem to have forgotten to tell anyone exactly when the campaign starts, and thats what is giving me the shits.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Then the cops wonder why motorists are so anti-road toll campaigns.
The cops have the worst PR machine going.
If,they are more open and honest with this bull shit, then the campaigns might work.
But I forgot, then they wouldn't raise revenue !!!

·
Faster than Zyrtec
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its mostly the RTA thats responsible for this in NSW. The cops just have political pressure to agree. Of course, there are a wide range of personalities within the police department though, that being said and done, some cops will be leaniant, others harsh.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Don't you find the NRMA etc are a toothless tiger ? The state motoring assocs are supposed to be looking after us. They are now well and truly into Govt pockets. No criticising of speed camera or red light camera use etc. There is a stretch of road in W.A that has had 5 fatalities this year and no camera has been sited there! RACWA said " govt commitee sets camera sites not us"

·
freelance
1,086 Posts
DDBegins Chrismas Eve, and ends who knows when, nice of Bodgie Bob to finally make his mind up! Bub then he has benn busy working out new ways to rape our pockets with tolls and new license plate fees.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The NRMA has been privatised. Its concerns are only of its shareholders and only those interested in making a profit. And quoting robocop:
"Anyone can purchase OCP stock, whats more democratic than that!"

The sooner people realise that there is no drivers lobby group in the form of NRMA - Omni Consumer products (TM) the better we will all be.

Who said we can't trust the government and the police, surely they wouldn't actually avoid from telling us *WHEN* double demerits apply? Would they? You bet your life they aren't going to tell us.

·
Faster than Zyrtec
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
RED_EL_XR8 said:
DDBegins Chrismas Eve, and ends who knows when, nice of Bodgie Bob to finally make his mind up! Bub then he has benn busy working out new ways to rape our pockets with tolls and new license plate fees.

Actually your wrong, it apparently started friday morning according to the police that I talked to, who also claim it goes to the 2nd of January :wtf: Still no direct mention that its double demerits - :edit: this is about as close as Ive been able to get to from NSW Police website

The Christmas/New Year road safety campaigns commenced at 0001hrs on Friday 19 December and continue during Christmas and New Year until 2359hrs on 2 January, 2004.

Since the operation commenced, six lives have been lost on Australian roads.

The state breakdown is as follows: ACT- 0 NSW- 1 NT- 0 QLD- 1 SA- 0 TAS- 0 VIC- 1 WA- 3

Further updates are available by visiting the NSW Police website on www.police.nsw.gov.au.

·
freelance
1,086 Posts
dave_au said:
Actually your wrong, it apparently started friday morning according to the police that I talked to, who also claim it goes to the 2nd of January :wtf: Still no direct mention that its double demerits - :edit: this is about as close as Ive been able to get to from NSW Police website
I'm never wrong! even when I'm mistaken! :>

Has been nothing on any of the websites, the 24th Date was announced on fridays late news Ch-7 I think. Whatever date it is, its still a poor effort by bob, skully, and the RTA.

You only have to remove on Carr to free up NSW roads!!!

·
Registered
461 Posts
dave_au said:
The police you spoke to is wrong. Overheard on the scanner, a call to a highway car about when double points start.. answer was christmas eve.. aka december 24...

·
Faster than Zyrtec
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The ambiguity is driving me insane. It certianly makes you wonder doesn't it, when you consider that the Police I talked to got it wrong, and that you overheard a highway car checking to see when its in force.

·
freelance
1,086 Posts
TV add for DD points last night, goes for 12 days and ends midnight 4/1/04 , these sleezes are too sneeky to announce the start date. So its begins minute midnight morning of the 24/12/03.

Pricks wont be getting my vote.

·
Registered
461 Posts
dave_au said:
The ambiguity is driving me insane. It certianly makes you wonder doesn't it, when you consider that the Police I talked to got it wrong, and that you overheard a highway car checking to see when its in force.
You would expect some publicity about it, but there hasn't been any, not that I've seen.... and it was a call over the radio for a highway car to confirm the start date, highway cop knew the answer, the radio operator didn't and was finding the answer for a general duties officer...

·
Editor on P Plates
2,482 Posts
the 11am radio news I hear while out in the car this morning said it starts at midnight tonight and goes until the 12th of January!

But I'm wondering if they don't mean 12 days as others have said. That would end it on the Sunday after the New Years weekend, which would seem fairly common sense for all the poor buggers who take their 2 weeks Xmas holidays with the family only to get stung byt the cops....

PLEASE NOTE

If you are travelling north from Sydney to Newcastle on the F3, the police seem to be after you in a big way. Just before the Ourimbah off ramp as you come down the long hill there is a fixed speed camera.

So everyone slows down for this, then speeds up again when they get around the corner.

DON'T!

I've driven past that spot for the last 3 days in a row, and police have a radar camera car hiding behind the end of the concrete barrier fence as you're heading north past the on-ramp for that Ourimbah interchange.

SO just when you think you've passed the camer and can speed up a bit, WHAM! they've got you with the sneaky radar car.

It was also interesting to note that the sign they're supposed to put out by law stating that a speed camera is in use was placed hard up against the end of the concrete barrier yesterday so that the writing was not visible to passing traffic.

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
DDP does not work as the stats show that the trend in holiday periods only matches or is worse than the rest of the year.

DDP was devised by Ian Faulks (?) of the Staysafe Committee and is viewed as a jewel in the organisation's crown. However, those who sat in the Alan Buckingham round table will smile when I mention the astonishment and loss of words to Solomon (RTA senior appointment) and Ian when these stats were presented unaltered from the ATSB website.

Yet again people whine and moan about DDP however the only way to curb this is to place pressure in writing on your local MP and/or Staysafe NSW (Victoria has an equivalent body I guess) to justify DDP in terms of trends and raw numbers.

DDP is a farce and a disgrace aimed at dishing out discriminating punishment.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts