Ford Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Corner Hugger
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hmm interesting one this...

In NZ, they do/don't get the following on Foci.

No fogs standard on CL/LX, they only have one model called Focus.
Rear spoiler standard on Zetec
Zetec only comes in 5 door hatch!!!!!!!
ST170 is the only 3 door hatch, plus it's available in Moondust Silver AND Imperial Blue
The Focus is a 1.6 not a 1.8 (NO THANKS!!!!!)
Zetecs get standard 6 stacker in dash along with Ghia and ST
Dual airbags standard acroos whole range
VDC not an option on Zetec!!!!!
The 1.6 Focus comes with Auto too!!! HORRIBLE!!!!!

Poor bastards. Let's just not mention the fact that they get the Mondeo...

·
Lord of the RC
2,515 Posts
Mondeo isnt to bad, ST220 is pretty sweet :) wouldnt mind one of them, well at least the badge for my car if/when its gets to that HP

In Englad they also have the 1.6 Zetec seems to be pretty common over there as well... think i would prefer to stick to my 2ltr tho...

Cheers

Chris

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
In England you can even get a 1.4 Focus with a whole 55kW of Power and 123Nm of Torque :AAHHH: and the motoring mags think the 1.8 and 2.0 are bad enough, but then over there anything other than small capacity HAM's are pretty rare.

And in England you can also get a 1.8 with sequential LPG injection that has the same power and torque as the petrol version.

·
Corner Hugger
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
urgh. I know having lived in Europe that owning a 2.0 litre is REALLY something special, trust me. In Belgium if you own a 2.0 litre you get your ass taxed off the planet, but it's pretty special to own a Golf GTi there for example... as for an ST170 you might as well be royalty...

·
Lord of the RC
2,515 Posts
Heard the same thing about living in Amsterdam .. taxes like anything.. wouldnt like to have an ST over there

Cheers

Chris

·
Corner Hugger
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no wonder they're all stoned, only other way to be happy if you can't own an ST or a 2.0 Focus!!!!!!! (Matt awaits the onslaught of Tim championing his cause with the mighty 1.8L Commodore killing CL and admits that "Yes Tim, I'll include the 1.8 too!!!")

·
Registered
202 Posts
I really do wonder about you Matt. The Mondeo is a brilliant car. Shame Ford Australia is so scared of it that they couldn't possibly bring it in here, for fear of it stealing sales from Falcon or it's dealers having no idea how to sell it. Whenever I'm in NZ I hire a Mondeo and it's a great car. The chassis dyamics are so well balanced. It's highly lauded overseas, so why bag it?

Are youjust laying into the Kiwis like you do the Victorians? Seems like a waste of breath to me

·
Linux User
214 Posts
Being Swedish (born here) my relatives are constantly amazaed at how many large engined cars (4+ litres) are on our roads. It's not as bad as the Netherlands or Belgium there, 2 litre cars are pretty normal but I think the best tax they have to cover those who use the most fuel is by making everyone pay at leat $2 per litre.............. those who use the most pay the most. Could you imagine the complaining if that happened here?

Apparently the Focus doesn't do too badly there (no idea of engine sizes)....... volvo and saab are pretty entrenched though.....like ford and holden here.

·
Registered
202 Posts
$2 per litre is mainly there due to higher production costs. They have the cleanest diesels and unleaded fuel in the world. Some of it is tax, but is mainly production costs, as I'm pretty certain their tax percentage is about the same as us.

·
Linux User
214 Posts
There is certainly a big percentage in there to cover road maintenace.......salt, sand and resurfacing after people leave their spikes on once the ice is gone.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Certainly is! Amazingly a lot of it ACTUALLY goes back into roads. We should be so lucky.

Australia is supposed to be coming up to Euro standards for fuel, including diesel, but I doubt that'll happen for a long time. It'll be an election loser for whichever government tries to implement it.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Zetec said:
Hmm interesting one this...

In NZ, they do/don't get the following on Foci.

ST170 is the only 3 door hatch, plus it's available in Moondust Silver AND Imperial Blue

Dual airbags standard acroos whole range

Poor bastards. Let's just not mention the fact that they get the Mondeo...
Also available in Panther Black :hehe:

Dual Airbags have been the norm in NZ (for Fords) for years, including Falcons which have being getting them as standard long before Australia ever did :read:

ST220 Hatch & Wagon, 0-100 6.5s mmmmm, need I say more :bowd:

·
2,922 Posts
Zetec said:
no wonder they're all stoned, only other way to be happy if you can't own an ST or a 2.0 Focus!!!!!!! (Matt awaits the onslaught of Tim championing his cause with the mighty 1.8L Commodore killing CL and admits that "Yes Tim, I'll include the 1.8 too!!!")
Er, ok...

By the way, owning an ST in Europe is not royalty, just check out the Ford Focus Owners Club of UK, heaps of ST (and more than a handful of RS owners too). Sure, it might not be their first car, but I wouldn't go that far.

As for NZ, I'd prefer a Mondeo to a Focus, but things could be worse for them - they could be getting the Mexican built US version! :eek:wned:

Cheers... Tim

·
Corner Hugger
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lincoln you've misread my quote about not mentioning the Mondeo... it's a blindingly brilliant car and although I was saying we got a better deal with the Focus, I was letting us just pretend that they weren't making up for having a 1.6l Auto Focus by the fact that they have the Mondeo, including the ST220!!!!!... I want it here... so much for Ford Australia KNOWING that there's no room for it... screw the fact that Vectra, Mazda 6 and Euro are all here and doing well, alongside Liberty which is admittedly a little larger... screw the fact that Mondeo would fit perfectly and even forgetting the fact that Mondeo sells in NZ ALONGSIDE Falcon and does blindingly well, I believe it is actually a class leader over there. Them Kiwis sure have refined tastes AND the balls to import real cars. They also seem to forget that Ford CANES Holden in NZ. Must be something about there being less bogans there...

Both Tim and myself have owned Mondeos and He rates his almost above his Focus I think, as for the Mondeo it was a brilliant car, just a little too gutless that's all. That's what you expect with an auto in a car with the engine displacement below about 2.5 litres though.

It seems every time Ford Australia cocks up another world best selling passenger car (ahem Mondeo... ahem Focus) with some new shitty marketing job they label it as crap and label the market in Australia as unrefined... granted Focus is picking up, we can't expect it to fire straight away even though it should and it did come out alongside BA which was critical for Ford, it's doing much better now but I have more than a few words to say to Ford marketing about it still... and then with the Mondeo Ford Australia seems to have decided because their marketing was so piss poor the first time around and they did such a half arsed job on the first Mondeo (of which we owned a 1995 2.0 GLX Auto, the car I learnt to drive in and it was a brilliant car, handled AMAZINGLY for what it was, just a little gutless as an auto, but it's where I developed my love for the 2.0 Zetec engine...) yet the it sold over a million in previous form and more in the updated model, then more still in the current model which again is now sitting at 4th generation Mondeo (each major model with one update following). I know Cyn11c would even be interested in the Mondeo methinks, after all it'd not only crap all over the Vectra, but the Mazda 6 and the Accord Euro would have another competitor and by the sounds of it the Mondeo would be an equally great buy. So Far Ford Australia has already been unable to sell one of the world's best selling passenger cars (Mondeo) in the past and because of that they decide that Euro sedans are not the go... don't get me started on this one (even though I'm well warmed up now!!), I agree with you Lincoln, Ford Australia needs to wake up and take the risk, they are too blind to see it's not the public's fault, you actually have to ADVERTISE (SHOCK HORROR GASP) to sell cars in Australia, people don't naturally find the refined, nicer cars... not in a country where people will pay money for a Commodore...

·
Corner Hugger
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
just adding my stab at Victorians... that's just a little healthy competition. I lived there for 3 years and would happily move there in the blink of an eye, somebody just has to get them off their arses and into club meetings!!!!!!! We wanna see more Foci representing!!! come on Victroians, UNITE!!!!!!!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Vectra isn't doing that well, actually.

They have done numeours consumer surveys on the Mondeo, yet never brought it out. It's too late now, though.

In NZ they don't have ADRs (or their equivalent) to adhere to, so bringing in imports is quite easy, as it only costs them shipping and delivery, unlike in Australia which has crash tests and stupid stickers for tyre pressures. They also have to bring in cars which they feel they can sell above the used import market which dominates something like 70% of new car sales. So I wouldn't bag them over te Focus, when they got the Peugeot 106 GTI, for example! Oh sweeeeeeeet

1 - 17 of 17 Posts