Ford Forums banner

HAVE YOU USED OCTANE BOOSTER ?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Rip Up The Track Join OFR
6,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, have any of you ever used a octane booster that works with a real boost of power or are they bullsh!t. There is one called Super ''104 Pro Strength'' its in a black bottle it costs about $30, my friend thinks its worth it.. any thoughts or experiences about any octane boosters would be appreciated.

thx...

·
Green's Tuff!
802 Posts
Personally I think that since premium unleaded has been available the octane boosters in a bottle are a waste of time. We sell the mat work, well actually we don't, they sit on the shelf and gather dust and the only guy that has bought them has put them in his 'fully sik' VB 6Cylinder wagon as he swears it stops pinging.

For $30, I'd rather put BP Ultimate or similar in my car.

·
RIP Sox.....
2,580 Posts
Octane boosters do just that, boost the octane rating of the fuel, nothing more.
At best they only raise the octane by a couple points and as the 'Heritage' said, 98 fuels are far better value anyway...

Rick.

·
Registered
847 Posts
so what if you put in in with 98 fuel? any benifits...

·
Green's Tuff!
802 Posts
I don't fully understand how it works, but when it says it boost the octane level by X points, it doesnt mean it takes it from 98 to say, 102, as the system doesnt work that way, it's more like it takes it from 98 to 98.4.....not enough to notice.

·
RIP Sox.....
2,580 Posts
6pAc|30nG|00n said:
so what if you put in in with 98 fuel? any benifits...
Only if your engine has a high CR which needs higher octane than 98.
If not, then it's a waste of money.

Rick.

·
Rip Up The Track Join OFR
6,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Soxx said:
Only if your engine has a high CR which needs higher octane than 98.
If not, then it's a waste of money.

Rick.
You know someone was going to ask what is CR ????

·
Registered
22 Posts
Before I rebuilt my 351C And decomped it from 12 to 10.5 I had it dyno tuned, I only had Optomax in the tank so as soon as it hit 4000 RPM it pinged it's head off, I bought a bottle of 104+ octan boost and with out touching the timing she revved to 7000 RPM without any problem, now with the lower comp it runs on 98. tank fuel with out a prob.

·
Copyright �2003
1,517 Posts
I usually chuck in a bottle of the Nulon booster as a precaution against pinging when I'm doing runs at the drags or on track days. I was sceptical that it did anything until one stinking hot day I forgot to add a bottle and noticed pinging at high revs. Chucked a bottle in, and no more pinging.

As to the claims it increases power, I've never noticed any increase at all.

·
Read Only
1,395 Posts
CLEVO8 said:
Before I rebuilt my 351C And decomped it from 12 to 10.5 I had it dyno tuned, I only had Optomax in the tank so as soon as it hit 4000 RPM it pinged it's head off, I bought a bottle of 104+ octan boost and with out touching the timing she revved to 7000 RPM without any problem, now with the lower comp it runs on 98. tank fuel with out a prob.
I had the same drama with my old stroked Clevo. I would run on gas (just), but put it on supposed "Super" petrol and she would ping it's guts out. If I put Optimax in,(built to run unleaded), and some 104, it was a different machine. Balls all the way to redline.
In saying that, you only need it if your car's pinging it's guts out, be it from high comp, or being too slack to tune it up :fraz:
Like Grunter says, the temperature makes a fair difference also.

·
AUTS50 #012
1,001 Posts
You also need a knock sensor to get any benifit from using octane boosters, so that leaves the EFI Ford V8, Windsor and Boss out of the equation. The I6 does go bit harder with octane boost though you'd need to fill up about three consecutive tanks before you will notice anything.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Very interesting topic,should it be used or not ?
Cheers John

·
Registered
695 Posts
Spend the $30 and find out :eek:)
Some ppl will notice improvements some won't.
Just like some ppl feel the difference with PULP and some don't, even when they drive the same car.

I may try one of these to see how it goes on the boss260.

·
Bring Back Jeff Kennet
2,277 Posts
ok well my car runs slightly better, if you can call it that. Mainly with pick up and responsivness. Although the last time I used it I had optimax in aswell. Mind you it could just be a placebo (SP??) effect, and the fact that ive been cruising around on LPG a bit lately doesn't help, massive difference between the two.

There is a difference, but bugger all. Just my experience with it.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Unless you live by the 1/4 mile where every 100th of a second counts.... i think these are a poor investment for performance.

you could get exhange 20 bottles of these (20 x $30 = $500) for an air induction system and get more power all the time every time.

·
502 Posts
There are some places in the outback that don't have PULP,so I would put a booster in the XR8,till we got to somewhere that had PULP.
My opinion is that it works.

·
100MPH Hunter
1,045 Posts
I know this, when I put Optimax in my g/f's Barina it runs smoth, but when it is run on normal stuff, it pings at the slightest hill.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts