Ford Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
R.I.P S/C EBII Fairmont
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says, my odometer suddenly stopped working tonight. I have no idea why. The speedo still works fine, but neither the trip meter or the actual odometer work. The odometer is currently fixed on 168809km's. I use a log book for work, so when I drove it 10km's home and went to write in the km's in the book, I noticed that they were the same as when I left. Any idea what could have cause this problem? It was about 38 degrees today so I wonder if the heat affected it. Any help could be much appreciated...
I'm planning on seeing my mechanic soon (possibly tomorrow) about a few oil leaks, so I might get him to check it out...

·
R.I.P S/C EBII Fairmont
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I forgot to mention that I doubt whether or not the km's are genuine or not. The condition that the car was in when we bought it was pretty poor for only 138,000 km's. So we have a suspicion that the odometer may have been disconnected at some stage, then reconnected. This may have caused this problem, but I'm just guessing. If it is an internal fault in the cluster, will I need to buy a new (secondhand) cluster? If so, what sort of prices do you think I'd need to pay (a fairmont digi cluster wold be sweet)?

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
Take it to a speedo place and get it checked out.

As for cost on a secondhand cluster, depends where you look. A place near me sells digi clusters for about 60 bucks, s pack clusters about 50.

Just be warned you'll be up for a bit of wiring with either of them.

·
wants a manual!
1,461 Posts
psycho chicken said:
Take it to a speedo place and get it checked out.

As for cost on a secondhand cluster, depends where you look. A place near me sells digi clusters for about 60 bucks, s pack clusters about 50.

Just be warned you'll be up for a bit of wiring with either of them.
you only need one extra wire for the spac cluster and alot for the digital speedo cluster. just get an spac one they look better and are easier to install.

·
R.I.P S/C EBII Fairmont
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been quoted around $120-$150 to have an S-pac cluster supplied and fitted. I just have to wait until the wrecker gets one in stock (may take a few weeks). Price is good considering the other wrecker I go to quoted me $220 for the cluter on its own, plus another $30 for fitting. I'll just to to estimate my km's until I get the new cluster...

·
Banned
599 Posts
Ill tell ya what, Ill sell ya a Spac cluster for $40

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have the same problem in my EA. It's the spring for the odometer in the gauge. They wear out over time and break. It's about 70 to fix it if i go to VDO.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is a piece of cake to fix. You need to take your dash out and get into the odometer area. There you will find a small cog that is broken. Ford has this part - its a bit exey <$20 but you put it back in its works just like before.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Strewth I just threw out half a dozen EA/B clusters all operational, I would have given them away for a carton of beer, didnt think anyone would want them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If anyone has a cluster or cog that they want to sell cheap or give away mail me!!!
My petrol gauge sender is bust and so is the odo!! so there is no way to know when I am running out!

thanks everyone!!

·
MY GHIA
113 Posts
hay
i hav a few of the odometer gears
if u are in brisbane i can fit it for you
same goes for anyone else that wants one fixed

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks for the offer mate, but I am in sydney.
Any chance if I check which gear it is I need you could post me one?
If you can, just let me know the amount of postage/price and I can sort it out.

Thanks again.

Ad

·
MY GHIA
113 Posts
yeah i can post u one $20 (i pay 15 each for them) all up u can have one
there is only on gear in there
they are they same gear in any vdo dash
just send a pm if u want one

·
MY GHIA
113 Posts
it will be the small gear if the speedo is working and the trip and odo don't work .
there is a small motor that drives the speedo (makes the pointer work ) also on the motor sharft is the small nilon gear witch turns a biger plastic gear that works the odo and trip meter being that the small gear is a nilon (very soft)it wears out not the plastic one(very hard) i replace bout 5 of these gears a fortenight on cars that come to me for RWC's and the odo and trip not working
it's the same gear an any VDO dash that stuff up ford ,holden,mazda,toyota,nissan,ect ect

·
EA II S-pac Owner
63 Posts
Would someone please be able to explain how to replace this gear.. ie removing the cluster from the dash.. It seems that this is the exact problem that I have

·
Registered
7 Posts
Jakobi said:
Would someone please be able to explain how to replace this gear.. ie removing the cluster from the dash.. It seems that this is the exact problem that I have
First off I would suggest you invest in a Gregorys Atomotive manual. Not too sure about the EAII. Ring your local ford spare parts and ask them if they have a ODG gear - it's the gear for the odometer when the numbers are not ticking over..

Mine is an ED....

The basic process is to:
1. Remove the shroud (this is that plastic instert that is inside of the dash and sits in front of your cluster.)

2. Then remove your instrument cluster (more screws). and you will have to unplug it

3. Open up your instrument cluster by taking off even more screws

*** now you need to be very careful you do not break anything, don't go fiddling with the K's either :) Don't blame me if you screw it up.***

4. if you can track and open your way down to the odometer section you will see the gear that you have to replace.

5. replace it with the new one you have.

6. go into reverse and put the whole lot back.

Then again, if you are not confident then your local Auto Electrician should be able to do it for about $75 - 80, well that was the price in Bris.

·
EA II S-pac Owner
63 Posts
Cheers mate.. Sounds like thats what i need to know.. next challenge will be putting the knowledge into practice

1 - 19 of 19 Posts