Ford Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 2000 excursion I am getting a small vibration in the steering wheel when I hit a bump in the road, much like the rumble strips on the highway but not as bad as the rumble strips, when I hit another bump it quits and rides just as smooth as before till I hit another bump. The bump does not have to be a big bump, sometimes just a patch in the road will set it off or make it quit. any ideas.

·
Super Moderator
24,106 Posts
Check front anti roll / sway bar bushes and drop links also

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check front anti roll / sway bar bushes and drop links also

It has new sway bar bushings and drop links. I noticed the other day it started when the left front wheel hit a patch in the road so I am assuming iss in the left front wheel

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have some mechanical skills , can replace worn lower ball joints myself ?
With the right tools, yes.
It's going to be a little bit different depending on if it's 2WD or 4x4, though.
With a 2WD, there's a pinch bolt on the upper joint plus a snap ring, with the lower or with a 4x4, just a snap ring.
I myself have never done them on a solid axle, but I believe they're pressed in, should be able to beat them out with a hammer (after removing the snap ring).
Probably will need a ball joint press tool for installation (for either).
Personally, I wouldn't replace JUST the lowers, but both, being you have to take the whole thing apart anyways.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts