Ford Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Cheetah :D
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched all over the forums for Offroading but i couldn't find it. My quick question is...i was wondering if my Ranger would die offroading ( not like intense offroading, just like really easy). Its an 00 2x4 XLT extended cab. As far as i know its all stock. I think its raised a little bit, but i am not sure, there is a lot of space between tires and truck. Engine is V6 3.0 liter, i dont know how many hp it has...i wanna hear opinions!! :D :D

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
It should be able to do the "really easy" offroading. The weight of the vehicle and lentgh of the vehicle would be an advantage over say an F150.

·
97 F-150 XL 4x4
799 Posts
3.0 v6 is a 154 hp and 180 tq
the only disadvantage you will have is being 2 wheel drive.
they tend to get stuck fairly easily in an offroad arena.

·
Plum Krazy XLT
47 Posts
With some aggressive tires on the light tail, you can still take "trails", just stay away from rock-climbing and mud. If you're smart and careful, you can have some fun and keep your Ranger healthy.

:driver: Truck on
Shadow

·
Registered
214 Posts
If you plan on doing much more besides trailriding, get a limited-slip for the rear if you don't have one already. Or if you're really serious, a locker. A gear-driven L/S like a Detroit Tru-Trac is a nice compromise.

·
Cheetah :D
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was thinking of getting bigger tires. I have to wait till the ones i have on right now get used, they are fairly new. Once that happens i wanted to get bigfoot tires, or at least just big enought so that it fills the extra space between the tire and the truck. thanks for all the tips guys

·
Registered
9 Posts
As far as offroading goes, why are you taking a stock 2wd off roading?? not that it is bad just hope you have a winch if your planning on going in any water or hills or anything....but if you take it easy you should have no problems and a lot of fun! :razz:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I got a 2wd ranger with 4in of lift and 33in tires. It does hills a 1 ton 4wd gets stuck on. It's all about knowing what your truck can do. I've been wheeling every weekend pretty hard for about 2 years, and my(00 2wd short box) truck has only got stuck once. It was a sticky stiuation in the snow. Just watch out for ground clearance. I banged up my underbody pretty bad on a trail before I got my lift.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i took my 99 3.0 2wd offroad for a long time. went through a eight inch deep bog and a wave of water went into my air duct. just take it slow through water and i definetly recomend a winch. i got a 6 thousand pound hand winch so i can go forward or backwards easily. the winch only cost about $120 and has saved me thousands. stick mainly to "trails" and don't do anything that might cause you to walk home. i'd recommend going with someone else who has a truck because even on dry, almost level ground, your gonna get stuck with 2wd it's a well known fact. good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts