Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Hawthorn Supporter
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Colin McRae has spoken of his heartache as he comes to terms with crashing out of the Network Q Rally of Great Britain.

Now his title hopes lie in the hands of his arch rival. If Richard Burns can finish in the top four, the Englishman will beat the Scot to claim his first world championship.

McRae crashed out in spectacular fashion on SS4 when he lost control in a fifth gear corner and was sent into a series of rolls. "I cut the corner too much and the car rolled over," McRae said. "I'm devastated."

His co-driver Nicky Grist said: "There was a bad bump on the inside of a fifth gear corner which just launched the car out of control and end over end. It's well damaged."

But Grist has not given up hope that Burns will retire too, handing the title to he and McRae. "It's not nice when it ends like this," said Grist. "But it's not all over for the world championship. Tommi won it in the same way a few years ago after retiring and this is a similar situation."

Ford team boss Malcolm Wilson was less optimistic. "You can imagine how we all feel," he said. "It's been in our grasp all year and in our destiny here. It's going to be a long three days. Richard's got it if he keeps that position and I think the manufacturers' title has definitely gone."

McRae was taken to hospital for a scan but has been given the all-clear.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope Richard Burns doesn't with the Championship.He's an arrogant pr!ck just like Skaife :angry:
Why does Ford lose every championship that they contest? :BW: :BW:

·
Australian Probe Member
841 Posts
That crash was huge!! It was just on Foxsports & both the inside cameras kept running & someone caught most of it from outside, how they both walked away is a testament to the safety cell in the car, cause the roof is just about flat.
The real tragedy is that Colin was really going for it & it looks as though Burns will just cruise to the finish & knock him off for the Championship.
Also Carlos has had his usual RAC 'luck' & Ford are virtually no chance of the Constructors title, with the Pugs running ultra strong.
Another season of what might have been!!

·
Ford Focus WRC Driver.
761 Posts
*rallyman has recovered from period of being a mute*

If McRae's off wasn't bad, now Sainz has gone off, in the process injuring about 15 people. Because of the severity of the accident, Ford Racing has decided to withdraw Carlos from the event. Since he and McRae were nominated for manufacturer's points, Peugoet has won the manufacturer's title!! And imagine, Peugoet didn't score ANY points from 5 of the first 7 rallies of the season (and there's 13 rallies in the season)!!!

Ford has just been having the worst weekend. The only thing that can make up for it now for me is a Ford 1-2-3 in Sandown!!!

·
Formerly J-type
1,629 Posts
Ford completely withdraw

It gets worse...

STATEMENT ISSUED BY FORD MOTOR COMPANY

Following the accident this afternoon on special stage 11 involving car no 3 driven by Carlos Sainz and Luis Moya, Ford have decided to withdraw both its remaining cars from the Rally of Great Britain.
Martin Whitaker, European director of Ford Racing, said: “We are genuinely upset that spectators were injured today in an accident involving one of our cars, and, as a result, we have decided to withdraw from the event. We are keen to work with the authorities to understand exactly what happened and why it happened.”

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Space Lord said:
Oh man!!! Not good. It just seemed to all go downhill didn't it? Lets hope that the folks who got hurt get well soon.
Here here.

I haven't seen the crash but it certainly sounds bad. Are Ford saying something broke on the car?

·
Registered
880 Posts
I think it's time that the rules are changed regarding the spectators in this sport. Some of the people are allowed to get sooooo close to the track that it's not funny.

·
Ford Focus WRC Driver.
761 Posts
Space Lord said:
I think it's time that the rules are changed regarding the spectators in this sport. Some of the people are allowed to get sooooo close to the track that it's not funny.
Well, that's why the Rally of Portugal has been cancelled. They'd have to cancel stages because of the sheer amount of people. Imagine driving down a straight at 150km/h down a road about 6m wide with 200 people within 5m of the cars on each side of the road!! I'd be nervous as hell!!

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Space Lord said:
As a marshal on some of the Targa stages I have to say I agree with that view 110%. People see the rally stuff on TV and think that it is an exceptable standard of spectator vantage point to be metres from the cars.

I don't know how they get away with it really. Our Duty of cars won't allow it. The time required to rope of a tarmac event like Targa is mind numbing, but if it means even one person avoids injury then it will have been worht it.

·
Ford Focus WRC Driver.
761 Posts
Just as an afterthought....Richard Burns is 2001 champion after finishing 3rd in Great Britian! 1st was Gronholm and 2nd Rovenpera of Peugoet! Imagine ALL 3 will be in Peugeot next year! I just see them dominating the sport in 2002!!!

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
rallyman said:
Just as an afterthought....Richard Burns is 2001 champion after finishing 3rd in Great Britian! 1st was Gronholm and 2nd Rovenpera of Peugoet! Imagine ALL 3 will be in Peugeot next year! I just see them dominating the sport in 2002!!!
That is another one that got away:angry: :angry:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts