Ford Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 97 f250 with a 460 and it has no owners manual. I believe it holds 6 quarts of oil, but checking for info until I pick up a manual.

Thanks

·
429/460 Fanatic
548 Posts
Capacity should be 6 quarts with a new filter.

Does your F250 have a dipstick? Just drain the oil, install a new filter and then add 5 quarts of motor oil. Run the engine for a minute, shut it off, let the oil settle back to the pan and take an oil level reading with your dipstick. top off as necessary.

Paul

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello,

i like to know if my oil-dipstick is for a 460, because my oilpan is custom i can't do what is scribed above
The dipstick has the number 4dae-6750-aa and is exact 18" long from tip till where it comes out of the tube if it's installed

Is there anybody with a 460 who will measure?

Thanks,

Danny

·
429/460 Fanatic
548 Posts
Danny,

You need to determine what you have for an oil pan. When you say that your oil pan is "custom," do you mean that it is hand-made or that it is an aftermarket pan? We need to know what you have for a pan then then go from there.

Also, does your current dipstick access the sump from the front timing chain cover or from the oil pan directly?

Paul

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello Kane,

the oil dipstick acces the sump from the timing chain cover and the oil pan is the aftermarket Aluminium pan with 2" letters "COBRA" on both sides.

Thanks Danny

·
Registered
1 Posts
Actually is should not matter what pan you have if you have the right dipstick. Your dipstick places the oil below your crank the extra oil is below in the sump. For effective use you need the correct oil pickup extention in your pan for a deep sump. So if your pan is off, dump water in it and see how much it holds. As far as I know it should be filling front sump but you have to be careful as pump and screen diplace oil. Oil should not hit the crank or sit on rear seal? Correct me if wrong!

I would like to know what the distance from top of dipstick to proper level on 429 CJ is so I can mark a dipstick. If I leave my dipstick in and start the car motor breaks it. So I need to make home made dipstick and mark it!!! And I dont know how much a stock 429 CJ holds for oil.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts