Ford Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When to get oil changes on 2020 Exployer Platinum? The book says under normal driving conditions get oil changed at 9500 to 12,500 miles. Really??

·
Super Moderator
11,058 Posts
I change the oil in my vehicles at 5000 miles if I do a lot of long distance driving and 2-3000 if I hardly warm it up on short drives My 2002 F150 had 265,000 miles when I sold it and it didn't use any oil at all.

·
Administrator
8,197 Posts
I agree with Bert. I use synthetic oil and change at 5000 miles which works out well with my tire rotation schedule.

·
Super Moderator
7,993 Posts
You can change it earlier if you want, but yes, the new oils (providing you're using Ford's recommended specifications) and go much longer without a change. The engine management also monitors how you drive and can calculate when the oil should be changed when, previously, it could not. Typically, a well maintained engine can go far beyond it's recommended change point, but if you do a lot of hard driving, a lot of idling, etc., you're not going to be able to get the mileage between changes. Manufacturers went very conservative (3000 miles, 3 months) originally for recommended oil changes. Thanks to modern technology in determining effective engine run hours and driving conditions as well as better oils, you can go much further.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts