Ford Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
None of my workshop manuals show the location of these for the 3.9 Litre MPEFI engine. Anyone know how many there are and their location? I don't want to miss any when I clean this engine.

I can find what appear to be nickel coloured pipe plugs in the block (2 at the front one at the rear). Are they? If if so I assume they should be removed and replaced in a similar manner to core plugs.

·
Officially Bored with 347
3,584 Posts
Hey mate.... I have a genuine ford manual here & I cant seem to find bugger all on oil gallery plugs.. the plugs you are refering to are for water.. sorry mate
Cheers
Brett

·
Super Moderator
3,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also have a Ford factory manual (and a Haynes, a Grergory's and a Max Ellery) and it does says in section 8-1-23 Cylinder Block:
"remove all pipe plugs that seal oil passages...."

The Haynes and Max Ellery manuals also refer to unscrewing oil gallery plugs. However, the brass plugs are flat with no screw heads.

I am now 95% certain that the small flat nickel coloured plugs (two at front on each side of the auxillary distributor drive and the one at the rear ) are these. The are smaller than core plugs and flat rather than concave. Now I have the block fully apart it is clear that one lines up with the oil gallery running adjacent to the crankshaft. The question I still have is do they unscrew (if so how) or are they a slide hammer job? I guess the easy way to find out is to buy the replacement plugs from Ford before trying to remove them.

·
Australian Ford Member
1,120 Posts
If they unscrew, wouldn't there have to be a thread on the hole and a slot or allen key hole etc on the plug?

·
Super Moderator
3,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You'd think so but they sit flush so you can't see if there is any thread or not and they look more solid than core plugs; they could have a snap off screw head. Tried to buy some at Repco and Autopro today; no luck. Will try Veales then Ford monday.

·
Super Moderator
3,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok; for anyone else who may need to know. The are solid 18 mm by 8 mm plugs with a dimple on the back (inside) . They are also tapered and have chamfered end and are driven in with sealant applied. Just picked them up from Veales with the rings, bearings and core plugs.

Looks like I will have to drill out the plugs or at least drill a hole and then use a slide hammer to pull them out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts