Ford Forums banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,136 Posts
When you check compressions with the gauge you dont run the engine , just crank it on each cyl .The gas will probably be burnt once engine started . You can always swap plug lead and see if it changes cyl # when scanned .

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
So I pulled the other 4 plugs out. They look to be in good shape, and dry.

I will try another, or a new plug wire, on #5 to see if that is causing the roughness.

·
Super Moderator
800 Posts
How old are the coil packs?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I'm not really sure. I've had the car for ten years, and I don't recall if I've changed the coil packs. I'd have to look through my receipts to be sure, as I sometimes lose track of what I've replaced. It's possible that they are original.

I think I put in new plugs and wires when I bought the car about 10 years ago.

I know I just put in the spark plugs this past September, when I started getting the misfire on #5.

·
Super Moderator
800 Posts
You might have said it in the op but not all posts are loading. Anyway how many miles are on the car? If they are original and new wires dont fix it Id look into replacing the coil packs.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Well, right now it is not throwing a misfire at all. Just some roughness. The misfire code was from about 2 months ago, on #5, and that's when I changed all the plugs, and started watching #5 and eventually saw it was getting wet in the plug well,

·
Super Moderator
800 Posts
These cars wont throw misfire codes unless its a bad enough misfire. With those amount of miles on the stock coils it may be time to replace them, just remember to get oem coil packs and not aftermarket or “performance” coils. I still recommend getting new plug wires first though.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #49

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I drove it about 10 miles today, and it was smooth again. Although, I think maybe I just didn't hear any roughness since I had the heater on fill blast for the short 5 miles each way?

I did check out autozone, and they had a set of duralast wires for about $52, which seem a fair price.

I took a short video of my exhaust when I started the car up today. It was a damp day here in Michigan, and this is what my exhaust looks like. What do you think?

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMLIxEDYLG6YcZB62e8KZhGPQpP68ninLqtTXQP4yLYZptiHit2goI0Ojrby5uZjg/photo/AF1QipOJSa5bq6IGC9F0tMLWDk7PFITpNGbMzO_ZcHQt?key=NVJienJvRHpMb2tkeXNUcWhQVFBpNWxGdUhwUzlR

·
Super Moderator
19,136 Posts
If coolant level does not drop , MAY just be normal condensation .Got to remember car has done 213,000 miles and wont be without little faults that you will have to live with .

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I am losing a small amount of coolant. I think some, or all, coolant is seeping from under the intake manifold.

So, you do not think that is burning oil? (I am adding a quart ever 500 - 600 miles).

·
Super Moderator
19,136 Posts
"I am adding a quart ever 500 - 600 miles " You are either leaking oil or burning oil or both . Coolant would appear to be as advised previously and leaking from intake manifold .

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I've been able to verify my problem is coolant leaking out of the intake manifold, and into the #5 spark plug well. I can actually see there is green coolant that is seeping out from where the aluminum crossover sits on top of the black plastic base of the intake manifold.

From there it drips down onto the surface where the spark plug boot is, and past the boot, and into the spark plug well. That of course causes lots of bad spark and rough running engine. (I've been stuffing rags around there to soak up the coolant, but now it's just too much to ignore.)

So, now that the weather is finally warming up I've ordered a new intake manifold. I hope to get it in the next week or so. I found one for $110 from am-autoparts.com - https://www.am-autoparts.com/products/intake-manifold/AM-35699088.html?m=476&y=1997

Any tips about replacing the intake manifold. Or input on the manifold I bought?

---

On a related note ... while I have my intake manifold off - maybe I should replace the valve cover gaskets? I have an oil leak, but don't know how if any of the leak is from the valves cover gaskets. I'm hoping to see more clearly once the intake manifold is off.

I mentioned that I am also adding a quart of oil, about every 600 miles. I've uploaded a video in a prior post, and the response was that it did not appear to be burning much from the appearance of the exhaust. That would mean I am leaking oil. I do see that some oil under the car on the driveway, and on the oil pan. etc., - but it seems less than a quart every 600 miles. Is there a good way to tell if my valve covers are leaking heavily - besides visually inspecting the area around them?

·
Super Moderator
800 Posts
Id send that intake back and buy an oem intake due to aftermarket intakes being inferior and reducing power output compared to stock.

Now for the oil leak, two common places are the front and rear main seals. The valve cover gaskets could be leaking but its not common in mod motors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
19,136 Posts
Wise decision to replace the valve cover gaskets when you are in there , the rubber / gasket changes texture after having hot crankcase oil thrown at it for thousands of hours.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
I just realized my old manifold's crossover has two 8mm bolts in the crossover to hold the bracket in place, but I think the new one has has 10mm bolts - from the videos I've watched.

My old bracket is used to hold the spark plug wires above the alternator, and not actually used to stiffen the alternator as the 1998's and up do. The 1998's have coil on plug,so do route any spark plug wires over the alternator as my 1997 does. (I have two separate coil packs with spark plug wires).

I am hoping the holes on the new crossover are the same distance apart as mine - which are about 5 and 1/8 inches from the center of the bracket's holes. If they are 10mm and mine are 8mm, I think I could widen the holes in my old bracket to acomodate the 10mm bolts.

Also my old manifold's crossover has a 2nd sensor, right by the thermostat. I don't know what it is. Do you? I hope the thread size is the same

The new manifold does have a threaded hole there, but I am wondering if my sensor is going to fit? The videos I've seen for 1998's, and up, they put plug in that hole as it is not used for 1998 and up. The video's seemed to show that a 8mm Allen wrench was used for installing the plug- but that was from what I could 'see' in the video - not anyone's description.

Below is a screen grab I did, from the videos that show the alternator bracket on 1998, and up, grand marquis ...

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipM1dBID6FHHFfm9eXMLzgt_8RFG9ETcTAROXWFJNTupX6CbYLMKlm3vVKtu_txaIQ/photo/AF1QipNNZ7PN7DyqGqnEfZqIT70g5WLrCLiLq2cCgkx_?key=c1hZZXZWTmFHZmpCSkVodklGOTN0MHlrZkxfZW9B

Below are two pictures showing the bracket on the crossover, and the space between my two 8mm mounting bolts...

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipM1dBID6FHHFfm9eXMLzgt_8RFG9ETcTAROXWFJNTupX6CbYLMKlm3vVKtu_txaIQ/photo/AF1QipNlG0O3G-7pjHHA0SgRJA-kgO4CVbpmNvU5oyo-?key=c1hZZXZWTmFHZmpCSkVodklGOTN0MHlrZkxfZW9B

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipM1dBID6FHHFfm9eXMLzgt_8RFG9ETcTAROXWFJNTupX6CbYLMKlm3vVKtu_txaIQ/photo/AF1QipM_w0PyOOAvAEy42xf_GI3QgnIa_LLTN6IP03Zf?key=c1hZZXZWTmFHZmpCSkVodklGOTN0MHlrZkxfZW9B

this is a picture of the 2nd sensor that is adjacent to the thermostat housing, on the left side (driver side) of the crossover. What is this sensor called? (I have what I think is the coolant sensor on the other side of the crossover) ...

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipM1dBID6FHHFfm9eXMLzgt_8RFG9ETcTAROXWFJNTupX6CbYLMKlm3vVKtu_txaIQ/photo/AF1QipOWXV3pFVZLpW7349ymEltmTpSI39Q9DTQkc1WQ?key=c1hZZXZWTmFHZmpCSkVodklGOTN0MHlrZkxfZW9B

This is the other sensor - on the right side (passenger side) of the crossover...

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipM1dBID6FHHFfm9eXMLzgt_8RFG9ETcTAROXWFJNTupX6CbYLMKlm3vVKtu_txaIQ/photo/AF1QipNfT6nt9r3NGywjBk1DbAlbW09P-0eErrnkfYYO?key=c1hZZXZWTmFHZmpCSkVodklGOTN0MHlrZkxfZW9B

41 - 60 of 74 Posts