Ford Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
just doing a bit of home maintenance, decided to check out spark plugs and leads. The engine is a KL03, Telstar TX5 2.5l V6. Pulled the first spark plug out of the front bank on the left hand side, and it had a bit of oil on the lead cover. Decided to sop it up with some toilet paper, so i checked how deep the oil was in the well.
It's almost an inch deep!! Now this can't be good for the spark to be trying to fight through an inch of oil. Checked center front, absolutely dry, checked right front, again, an inch of oil in the well. Checked back, the right back has some oil on the lead cover, but can't see down into the well.

Now, what do i do? I'm still trying to get the oil out of the front bank, but where is it coming from? Is it just the gasket cover needs re-torqueing or is it something more serious than that? And i guess that a new set of leads wouldn't go astray either now that i know they've been floating in oil?

Any help would be great guys.

Cheers,
Luke

·
Falcon 2.. Ferrari 0 hehe
1,290 Posts
Piston rings are stuffed, rebuild, or new motorl....... check your oil level, if its over full, drain some, happened to my mates exa, although we had to be 300 kays away, so i got under the car, was still hot, adn drained oil......

·
Registered
326 Posts
Rocker cover gasket has gone hard allowing the oil to leak into plug wells. Front one is easy to change but the inlet manifold will have to be removed to do the rear.

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
SPALDING GREEN said:
Rocker cover gasket has gone hard allowing the oil to leak into plug wells. Front one is easy to change but the inlet manifold will have to be removed to do the rear.
EXACTLY...
You could get away with taking out bolts on centre rocker cover, there is a dowl that prevents over tightening it fits under top washer & seal hopefully it will come out when top seal is taken off..You could carefully file a mill [no more] off them.As with age the gasgets shrink and need extra tightening.Also on the latter H.P KLZ the outer bolts didn't have a wedge to tighten against, just normal bolt for this reason..They are a pita to replace.. In an MX6 anyway...

·
BA XR8 Driver
233 Posts
Yeah its the rocker gasket, my old EXA usd to do the same thing.
Replace it or try to tighten it.

·
tx5dude
6 Posts
me again. it's a common fault, not serious. re-torque the cover...yes also check your head gaskets arent stuffed. my car was on nitro so the gaskets were fried.good after-market leads are now available from bosch. they're new but very good. bout 170bux. and they're better than both ford and mazda leads(tried both and they both didnt last long-under a year!!)the ford and mazda leads cost around 300bux!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :AAHHH: change your plugs whenever you can and keep an eye out for new advances in them as they are getting better too. the prob should be the gasket. look out for some cork ones-suppose to be the shit. once again, dont feel too bad as this is really a common ailment.the good news is that the said motor doesnt have that many probs compared to many...out. :sperm:

·
Fast but not Furious
44 Posts
the oil kills the leads... ngk make nice fat ones.. (8mm)

I would replace your rocker gaskets rather than just re tensioning them is a bit hap-hazard.. particularly with the rear.. it is a lot of work to remove that manifold just to have to do it again later..
And don’t forget you DO need silicone sealant as well as new gaskets .. you put the sealant in the corners (vertical ones)..
And it it is the rear you will need 2 new inlet manifold gaskets ..
I can go into crazy detail if you require .. Email me..

·
If Only I Had Lexus Power
827 Posts
There are circular rocker gasket covers for each plug, My old man had this happen on his mx6 and it was misfiring. We did a fix it up and replaced no gaskets at this stage.

Used the sand blaster suction hose to draw the oil out if the recesses then cleaned with petrol and cleaned that out then dryed with compressed air.

The gaskets to do a full reseal are about $200 and $150 for plug leads

Has been months and its still fine

1 - 8 of 8 Posts