Ford Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2006 f250 6.0
needs a gasket and it would take $200 to reach it and replace it. i asked them to call for the price of the part and let me know. of course they did not. so now i have no clue what i should price out on the internet ....and do a you tube to see what all is involved..... any idea what gasket or part these guys were talking about .. i live in a town with no mechanic and went to the next biggest town and not anyone that anyone can tell me is reliable....

·
Super Moderator
1,139 Posts
I am confused regarding your description of the "oil reservoir". There is an oil fill cap which is, of course, used to fill the oil and an oil filter on top of the engine. The oil is stored in a reservoir, normally referred to as the oil pan, which is located on the bottom of the engine. Are you talking about a leak at the oil filter on top of the engine, at the actual filler cap, or the oil pan?

If the leak is at the filler cap I would carefully clean the area around the cap to ensure that the "leak" was not simply a sloppy oil fill spilled onto the engine. Also check the cap for damage. If leaking at the oil filter on top of the engine then simply replace the filter and "O" rings (lube the "O" rings when installing). Those are the simple fixes, though nothing is simple with a 6.0 Diesel (I owned one)! If the cam (valve) cover is leaking, or the oil pan (reservoir) is leaking, then it is a major chore to replace the gasket and the $200 price is fair, especially if it is the oil pan leaking. However, I would make sure that all the bolts securing the cam cover or oil pan are torqued properly before replacing a gasket.

·
Super Moderator
1,139 Posts
An additional thought: Difficult to find sources of oil leaks can be found by pressure washing the area leaking, drying the area with compressed air, then dusting the area with a talcum powder duster. A turkey baster filled with talcum powder also works kind of OK.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts