Ford Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 Marquis LS 110,000 miles all original. Spark plugs have oil on the threads down to the electrodes. But NOT above and I had the valve covers checked today. They found no leaks. Is there tube seals? Has anybody had this happen? And what would be a repair cost guesstamate at a legitimate shop? Still runs really good just consuming oil and cant find leaks. Only see oil on the bottom of plugs 🤷🏻‍♂️

·
Super Moderator
22,987 Posts
Using oil can often be the valve stem oil seals and / or valve guides getting hard, worn and needing replaced

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is this a costly repair ? I'm pretty sure I won't be able to do it in my own. I don't have the time or knowledge to do it. And while it's getting repaired is there any other repairs or maintenance I can do while I'm at it?

·
Registered
2000 grand marquis ls with handling package, magnaflow mufflers,dual exhaust, 3.55 rear axle
219 Posts
Is this a costly repair ? I'm pretty sure I won't be able to do it in my own. I don't have the time or knowledge to do it. And while it's getting repaired is there any other repairs or maintenance I can do while I'm at it?
How much oil is it using? Is it on all the plugs or just some of them? If it is not misfiring it will not hurt anything to just keep driving it and just put in oil when it needs it.

·
Super Moderator
22,987 Posts
If the valve seals / guides are very badly worn it causes excessive oil usage , carbons up valves and other problems like sticking valves and pre igniting to name a few . A sign of worn seals / guides is if you warm the engine to working temp and let it idle for a minute or two , then rev engine and watch for blue smoke out the exhaust . If really bad and using a lot of oil and possibly the piston rings also worn , needs fixing .If not badly worn and dependent on usage , live with it .

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How much oil is it using? Is it on all the plugs or just some of them? If it is not misfiring it will not hurt anything to just keep driving it and just put in oil when it needs it.
It's using a full quart between oil changes. I use full synthetic about every 5000-6000 miles

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If the valve seals / guides are very badly worn it causes excessive oil usage , carbons up valves and other problems like sticking valves and pre igniting to name a few . A sign of worn seals / guides is if you warm the engine to working temp and let it idle for a minute or two , then rev engine and watch for blue smoke out the exhaust . If really bad and using a lot of oil and possibly the piston rings also worn , needs fixing .If not badly worn and dependent on usage , live with it .
Its more like white smoke but definitely smoke comes out in the morning. I remote start my car 5-10 min before I leave for work. This is my daily driver and only car. Other than consuming oil it drives very well. Just annoying. Thank you for your replies helped me a lot 🙏

·
Registered
2000 grand marquis ls with handling package, magnaflow mufflers,dual exhaust, 3.55 rear axle
219 Posts
It's using a full quart between oil changes. I use full synthetic about every 5000-6000 miles
If it is only using one quart between oil changes and you are not experiencing any other problems I would not worry about it. Just monitor your oil level closely and drive it. It will cost thousands of dollars in labor costs to replace the valve seals or piston rings.

·
Super Moderator
22,987 Posts
I wouldn't bother too much about that oil usage . You could check the PCV valve and hose as if faulty it can cause a build up of pressure in crankcase causing leaks if not functioning correctly . White smoke may just be normal condensation in engine till it reaches working temperature and nothing to worry about if not losing coolant

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If it is only using one quart between oil changes and you are not experiencing any other problems I would not worry about it. Just monitor your oil level closely and drive it. It will cost thousands of dollars in labor costs to replace the valve seals or piston rings.
Dang. Ok I will just live with it haha.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Valve seals do become brittle with age and fail to seal the valve stem which causes that smoke when first started cold.. The oil weeps past the guides and valve stems, into the combustion chamber and burns off at first start up.. If you are not skilled in replacing the seals and do not have the tools (air compressor - valve spring compressor - air pressure hose to cylinder adapter etc), I would recommend a repair shop. Prices vary from shop to shop so ask around.. Most independent shops are less expensive than dealers. FYI, oil consumption will increase if the seals are not serviced.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Valve seals do become brittle with age and fail to seal the valve stem which causes that smoke when first started cold.. The oil weeps past the guides and valve stems, into the combustion chamber and burns off at first start up.. If you are not skilled in replacing the seals and do not have the tools (air compressor - valve spring compressor - air pressure hose to cylinder adapter etc), I would recommend a repair shop. Prices vary from shop to shop so ask around.. Most independent shops are less expensive than dealers. FYI, oil consumption will increase if the seals are not serviced.
Thanks for the info. Greatly appreciated. I talked to a mechanic well like 10 but one finally said he could do it for $1400 but he suggested a dealer that he found works on accident and it hasn't leaked or put out smoke

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the info. Greatly appreciated. I talked to a mechanic well like 10 but one finally said he could do it for $1400 but he suggested a dealer that he found works on accident and it hasn't leaked or put out smoke
Meant to say he suggested a SEALER that works

1 - 13 of 13 Posts