Ford Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi can anyone tell me where the oil pressure sender is on a 1978 351 4v? my oil pressure gauge in my ltd goes off the clock so am wondering if there is a short somewhere?

·
Approach with caution.
1,043 Posts
gsr9395 said:
hi can anyone tell me where the oil pressure sender is on a 1978 351 4v? my oil pressure gauge in my ltd goes off the clock so am wondering if there is a short somewhere?
Screwed into the rear top of the block behind the inlet manifold.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I had the same trouble a few weeks ago. The spade connector on top of the sender had swung around and shorted out on the metal tube going to the transmission vacuum modulator.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hey guys. new to this forum bussiness. but i thought id ask if any of you guys know why my oil pressure isnt showing in my xc falcon? when i turn the key for acc. the guage goes off the clock. but when i turn the ignition fully and start the car, it drops back to nothing? i changed the sender/sensor unit but still the same thing. maybe its shorting out somewhere??

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Mine did that once. Cant remember if it was because it was dissconnected or shorting out on the block.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
hey guys. new to this forum bussiness. but i thought id ask if any of you guys know why my oil pressure isnt showing in my xc falcon? when i turn the key for acc. the guage goes off the clock. but when i turn the ignition fully and start the car, it drops back to nothing? i changed the sender/sensor unit but still the same thing. maybe its shorting out somewhere??
Unfortuntely it's one of those things that might take a little trouble shooting! You have a new sensor which is good.

I'd just run a new wire from the sender to the gauge and see how that goes. Just run it thru the drivers window while your trouble shooting to see if it works, then put a proper new one thru the firewall into the dash.

Pink and white on later Falcons and I assume it's the same on yours.

Do you have a workshop manual to check your dash wiring?

·
Registered
3 Posts
yer i feel pretty embarrassed to say this. you guys are probably going to laugh.. after putting in my upgrade gs/gxl dash in, i totally forgot that u had to replace the oil pressure SWITCH with a oil pressure SENSOR (the bigger fatter unit). i forgot they were two separate units.. works all good now. felt like the biggest idiot when i realised why it wasnt working. thanks anyways. peace.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Good stuff mate! I could beat you hands down with all the dumb stuff i've ever done working on my car! Love an easy fix!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts