Ford Forums banner

Oil vs Temp sending unit (gauge vs light as well)

891 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  mrfixr55 
#1 ·
Hey there. Got my hands on a 67 cougar I've been slowly working on. It has an after market 'souped up' 302. I have a question regarding sending units.

The car has an unknown Weiand intake manifold with two sending units on the back of the manifold near the firewall; one on the driver's side and one on the passenger side. The driver's side one works ok when grounded out (oil light comes on, so I know that's the oil pressure light sending unit).

The passenger side one doesn't light up either a light, nor does it move the dial on the factory temp gauge, nor move the dial on an after market gauge on the car. I've installed a new sending unit, still no luck; I guess I'll trace the wire back to one of the gauges and check for continuity.

One question I have is the old sending unit I removed was a little different than the new one the parts store sold me for that engine. In fact, the new temp sending unit I have looks identical to the oil pressure sending unit. Does this mean it won't give me the temperature level on a dial, but more of a light reading? Is there a difference between the dial style and light style sending units when it comes to appearance?

Any other tips on this would be helpful and appreciated.

See less See more
#3 ·
So, when I ground it out, the factory oil light comes on; it also has a 3-gauge aftermarket cluster showing actual oil pressure as well.

Also strange is both sensors are at the rear of the intake; everything I'm seeing at a local car show, they're on the front area. (definitely the new sensor I installed is into the coolant (didn't drain a little under control but was quick on threading the new one in)

#5 ·
See if this helps you

#6 ·
If my memory serves, the oil pressure sending unit on a Windsor Ford is on the block, near the fuel pump and oil filter.
For earlier Fords, there are 2 types of oil pressure senders:
Switch type for an Oil Pressure indicator light. Normally closed (lights the light) with no oil pressure, open at about 15-20PSI
Potentiometer type for "hot wire" oil gauge. Resistance decreases with increased oil pressure.

There are also 2 or 3 types of coolant temp switches:
Bimetal switch for Temp Indicator Light. Normally open when cold or warm, closes when coolant temp is high and lights the temp light (another type had 2 terminals, one was closed to light a "cold " indicator until the engine warmed up, other terminal lit the "hot" light. Was on Dad's 65 Country Squire with 390 "Police Interceptor" engine.
Thermistor type for "hot wire" temp gauge. Resistance drops as temp increases.

On a Windsor (or most other Ford V8s, the temp sender was on the front of the manifold, near the thermostat housing.

Was this engine from (or for) a post 1984 car? Are these senders actually for EECIV or EECV?