Ford Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help.......Done a service on the No2 XR8 today. First time I think its had one since the Pork and Ham Dept owned it. Where the hell is the dipstick for the auto transmission......anyone know.
Or why it does'nt have one.....Geoff I blame you for this.

·
CEO - The BSR Group
4,400 Posts
Well I know that the guys in the club with EF/EL autos complained about the same thing because it's a sealed unit! No dipstick!

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How do you service the thing. how do you top it up, check the oil etc. Modern technology, I dont think so.

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,542 Posts
Yeah Doc,

Hehehe no one stole your auto dip stick. I thought the same myself when i took a look at my mates EL the first time. I seems that late EL and onwards they axed the dip stick and you gotta use your finger in the filler hole to see if it's full.

Apparently these new 4 speeds are a sealed unit, by meaning you don't need to get them serviced that often, but we did one on dad's EL at 80k.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
And guess where the filler plug is?:rolleyes: Right next to the exhaust!:eek: Good one Ford!

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
are you calling my cop car a taxi you wart...

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Hey at least you can find the auto in the Falcon. The new Rover 75 has so much crap under the bonnet that you can't even see the auto! Not good when the oil cooler hose uncrimps itself and dumps $200 worth of oil over the road. BTW talk is the 4.6 out of the Mustang Cobra is going in to the MG version of the 75.

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,542 Posts
Hmm so a dipstick in the auto's is a go fast option in the EL's , :p :p :p
hmmmm might see how much it costs.

Nah seriously i wouldn't woeey about not having a dip stick.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wont lose any sleep over it, it had me stuffed trying to find the thing. my problem is how do you know when to top it up.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Yeah when the box fails to change gears or has jerky changes or noises start coming from the unit, it is a sign that you are too late:p

These late model autos just don't seem to need much attention. In the one I used to own I just kept an eye out for leaks by checking the undercarriage once a month and as far as I could tell the level never seemed to move and the oil always looked to be clean. :confused:

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I would fit a dip stick, big oil cooler and inline filter just to insure the auto lives. Mainly because I HATE pulling autos!

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
Real gearboxes have never had dipsticks!

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
True. But I don't mind a good auto and besides I don't know to many manual and clutch set ups in cars that can cope with towing 2500kg like a Falcon auto.

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,542 Posts
Doc,

Like what HSE2 said, the new auto boxs don't require dip sticks as they in my opinion build them right finally. "Touchs wood".
They say first symtoms is when the gears are lazy to kick down or get into gear.
As long as theres no signs of leaks there should be no dramas.
I had a look at dads EL auto when they took the pan off, and the oil in it was squeaky clean the whole trans showed no signs of wear and tear, even filter was clean.;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
8 Participants
XR_Strider_GuY
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing