Ford Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's The Ultimate Astra...
Fancy a new Astra for £300,000? That's how much Vauxhall's latest project will cost if it gets the go-ahead. First seen at this year's Geneva Motor Show, the Astra OPC X-Treme is based on the German DTM racer – and we've driven it this week (see previews section).
Volker Strycek, head of General Motors' OPC performance arm, said: "We hope to build a minimum of 25 at around £320,000 each." That puts the X-Treme up against supercars such as the McLaren F1. And should it make it to production, owners will be able to specify their own fittings and trim. Savings could be made by opting for steel components or fibreglass bodywork rather than carbon fibre – but at this price, most buyers will be prepared to pay for the ultimate.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually i don't mind the look that much for what it is. There was another article about its performance that I didn't read but if it is a quick as the F1 then maybe the price is justified. Hard to justify the badge on the front though like FM said

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
Ahh sorry guys, but to me it looks a riced up CRX, yeah i know it's got the goods in the power department but for the same money or cheaper i'd rather a Burgundy Jaguar XJ220 anyday, and with 545hp on tap should keep this Astra in my mirrors. :nuts: :nuts:

·
CEO - The BSR Group
4,400 Posts
300,000 quid? One question - WHY??!?!?!

It's an ASTRA for f's sake!! :D :D :D

There is NO justification for this vehicle. None. To quote Homer Simpson, ".. the foot is coming down .... the foot is down. The foot has spoken!"

·
Evil Holden Overlord
920 Posts
The only thing in common with an Astra is the name - this thing has gull wing doors, RWD, 490hp V8, etc ...

It's essentially a road version of their Touring Car version ...

·
Ford Member
1,156 Posts
Its barely a road car, you have to yoga to get into it, and suspension is going to be rock hard. And after all said and dun its still a Million dollar Astra. And only with a 4 litre engine..

It might be worth it if you wanted to compete in the touring races over there, a million $ is pretty cheap.

If Holden and ford offered road going race cars based off the V8 supercars Im sure for ~$300,000 a pop people would seriously concider. In england Im pretty sure a V8 Supercar would be road registerable.

Its a silohette racecar, the outline of the car is simular, and nonvital components like doorhandles would be astra, but not much else is.

Personally I would rather by a real ex race car for a million bucks, like the 1500Hp twin turbo V12 Porsche Cam Am, I belive you could pick one of those for not much more than a million dollars..

·
Read Only
1,395 Posts
I reckon it looks OK, possibly a little bit ricey.
Yeah, it'd want to really go for that much of the hard earned.:rolleyes:
Looks something like the Suzuki Pikes Peak car out of GT2!
Russell.:cool:

·
Shhh, we're hunting Lions
1,610 Posts
If I had that sort of money I doubt I would be looking in the local Opel dealership, somehow I think I might be looking for a car with a Prancing Horse emblem on it.

·
Australian ED XR6 Member
569 Posts
I wish they'd do that up here. Paintin speed bumps bright red will make them a heap easier to see:nuts: :nuts: :nuts:

·
100% Speeding (when safe)
471 Posts
What do you wreckon the resale value would be?
I wrken after 2 years it would have dropped from 300,000pounds
to 80,000 if the buyer was lucky.

What do you people think?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts