Ford Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
in theory,its theoretical
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got word from the service centre that the gearbox is not pumping enough pressue and is on its way out with replacement worth about 2-2.5k Just wonderred what the options are? surely its cheaper to do a manual conversion? or is it a bastard job? any info would be great

·
Registered
847 Posts
Who told you it was on the way out? how many k's has it done? i would be expecting well over 200,000 before it started to be fubar if it was serviced once in a while. If I were you I would do a full fluid flush replace filter install a dipstick (coz el ones dont have one) and fit a transmission cooler if you dont have one already.

Do this first and it could save you alot of cash. chances are the s1-5 solanoids need replacing too.

·
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
um, 230k, parents owned it but not sure how long since they serviced it. The powerflush and all that was wat it was in for today and thats what they told me. i only got it serviced cos when in econo mode, it will no change into 4th when ur doin 60. once at 70, changes to forth fine. in power mode it seems ok. should i just ignore this til it really breaks? i doubt it has a trans cooler or anything like that, she's as stock as can be.

·
Registered
847 Posts
in econ it should eagerly climb through gears asap and ride the torque when light throttle is used, Power will ride each gear out and will (in my car) only drop into fourth under light throttle just as it touches 60. If the box isnt making any real bad noises, dropping in and out of gear and whatnot i would probably leave the thing in power mode as its better for the box anyway.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Doesn't sound like there's much wrong with it.

I just leave mine in 3 around town and only use the 4th overdrive when on the highway/freeway/tollway.

·
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
its over. after the power flush and all the gunk came out, the oil pump in gearbox wasn't making bugger all pressure, slips gears, pretends it has a 3grand stall converter. they said can just do the oil pump but not worth it when the gearbox has done 233k. they are installingas i speak, $1850 reco installed, that good price? (ps im in brisbane)

·
Proudly Average
1,305 Posts
sounds pricey to me... plus 233k isn't ALL that much for an auto that hasn't been stalled up and abused... pressure problems in a BTR auto are usually the s1-5 solenoids, i believe. Have you tried a place that does taxi gearboxes? they'd know all about it.

·
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
unfortuntalely yeah, solinoids checked, its a gearbox, new one installed today, all good but $1850, ouch!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts