Ford Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Blue Blooded Ford Man
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorry Mods, but this question is not SITE related. Please forgive me. It is a problem that has been annoying me for weeks. And, I think some helpful person around here could help me.

MP3 Problems

OK, I am having issues with my new MP3 player. I need some advice.

As we all know, MP3 players, play MP3 files. The trouble that I am having is the conversation of the file.

I need to rip the songs to MP3 format. So, I look on the net for software, and most ones want to charge for it. But, I found one called FreeRip.

It rips songs to MP3 format no problem, but they stay the same size. I thought the whole reason for MP3 is so that the file size is smaller.

I copied a CD to my computer and it was 67.2mb. I then ripped the same CD with FreeRip, and it was 66.7mb.

So, can anyone tell me of a good program to download for MP3’s?

·
Blue Blooded Ford Man
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, of course.

I am sure someone can help me here.

·
Mmm, high pressure wash.
3,086 Posts
67 odd Megs for a CD is about right for MP3 format. Or did you mean just one track is 67MB? If just one track I'd say the ripping is a 2 stage process (CD->WAV and then WAV->MP3) and you've gotten the WAV file.

It also depends on what bitrate you encode the MP3 with. For example, I have a song that goes 3m 33s and is 5,004KB @ 192 kilobits.

·
Another Ford Driver
211 Posts
when you copied the cd to the computer, the program you used did not copy it in CD digital audio format, if it had it would have been around 600 MB in size (very big file). If you used media player for example it converts the audio to *.wmv format which is media players native format (i think), and would be around the same size as the same cd as an MP3. If as slothman suggested, one track was 67 MB then there might be another stage to the process. But yeah, an MP3 of one cd should be around 60 or so MB.

·
.au member
2,747 Posts
If you have the latest Windows Media Player (which is currently Version 9), you can download a plug-in for it that will rip your mp3s and catalogue them the same way WM does with it's wma files. It's free and it doesn't expire, and it should do the job for you.

·
Just give me an excuse...
3,949 Posts
I use musicmatch jukebox...

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
back2thefutura said:
If you have the latest Windows Media Player (which is currently Version 9), you can download a plug-in for it that will rip your mp3s and catalogue them the same way WM does with it's wma files. It's free and it doesn't expire, and it should do the job for you.
Do you have a link for this. The only ones I can find you have to pay for

Cheers Ben

·
.au member
2,747 Posts
if you already have windows media player, just click on the 'tools' menu, then 'plugins', then 'download plugins' and it should take you to the page where they are all listed.

windows media player is ay http://www.windowsmedia.com/.

·
Village Idiot
2,526 Posts
KenOath said:
I copied a CD to my computer and it was 67.2mb. I then ripped the same CD with FreeRip, and it was 66.7mb.

So, can anyone tell me of a good program to download for MP3’s?
U can change the quality of the mp3 files to make it smaller, but they start sounding dodgie.

The main thing mp3 is good for is cds. If 1cd = 67mb in mp3. And a writeable can have 700mb, u fit 10 cds onto one.

If your just using it on computer, there isnt much advantage imo

·
Blue Blooded Ford Man
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the advice. The whole CD was 67mb. As this is my first time using this format, I thought the size of the file would be much smaller.

I will try the MediaPlayer Pulg-in.

I think I will have to upgrade the memory in the MP3 player.

·
Mr Sensible...
115 Posts
Personally I recommend audiograbber 1.8 with the Faunhoffer (used by NAD and Harmon Kardon to name some) & LameEnc codecs. Compression rate speed is dependant on your computer speed of course.
Unlike Musicmatch which is fairly simple to use Audiograbber is rather sophisticated but it has a better quliaty output and far better compression good enough to output to a decent hi-fi PM me for details.

·
.au member
2,747 Posts
sorry to revive an old topic, but Im in dire need of some help here. I cant watch video files (i.e MPEG, WMV etc) in Windows Media, because the display consists of lots of coloured squares that are very choppy and make absolutely no recognisable picture whatsoever.

Ive just donwloaded DivX Pro 511 and it doesnt make any difference, and i have MPEG4 codec installed. What do I ened to make the damn thing work?! :fraz:

·
Mr Sensible...
115 Posts
What is the video and what codec (or codec variation) was it encoded in. DivX compression is many and varied and some drivers either give funny colours, streaks or in your case no picture at all. If you right click on the video in the DivX app it should give the encoding details I think.

·
3FB's Peter Pan!!!
777 Posts
KenOath said:
Thanks for the advice. The whole CD was 67mb. As this is my first time using this format, I thought the size of the file would be much smaller.

I will try the MediaPlayer Pulg-in.

I think I will have to upgrade the memory in the MP3 player.

How much memory does the player come with?? Mine's got 128Mb and thats about standard these days...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts