Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah I'm not sure if a thread like this has been here before,

But what does every think of the mustang???? Talking to people around me i've had mixed opinions.

Personally i like it, different to falcons and can't be compared to each other, ie i'd own both if i can :D :D

Must admit the build quality is abit naff campared to T series Falcons but i love the tough look about the mustang the guards are huge and solid same with the doors a typical yank tank, but interior is average.

I sat in it at the motor show for ages :D :D :D :D :D

V

·
0 Posts
the BEST Ford- wait- CAR ive seen in ages!!! I love the look of those, especially the front, looking so mean.

Some person i know think the Celica is better, damn ricer!!!:D :D :D :D

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm a celica better than legendary Mustang, Pffffffffffffffft he obviously don't know bout cars, :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

BTW in the beginnings of Celica they copied the mustang, the fast back "mustang type" celica, damn imitations...

·
Future XR Owner
2,245 Posts
It's great that the Mustang is here thats for sure! I would rather a 260kw T-SERIES or similar powered XR8 though. The interior is a bit shabby, but the exterior is damn mean :evil2:

While stopping in at one of our work sites this morning (opposite Courtney & Patterson dealer in Heidelberg), what do I roll up behind at the lights....yep, the Stang, the deep Red colour, I turned the radio off and down went my window to hear it take off...the best sounding V8 I've heard in a while...awesome throaty sound, I hope the strokers and new V8 we get will sound atleast something that the Stang.

·
Saving for a BA XR6t
171 Posts
While stopping in at one of our work sites this morning (opposite Courtney & Patterson dealer in Heidelberg), what do I roll up behind at the lights....yep, the Stang, the deep Red colour, I turned the radio off and down went my window to hear it take off...the best sounding V8 I've heard in a while...awesome throaty sound, I hope the strokers and new V8 we get will sound atleast something that the Stang.
Just wondering, the work site you were stopping at wasn't Dorevitch Pathology was it JEM? A bit off-topic sorry.

·
Future XR Owner
2,245 Posts
SIM EF6 said:

Just wondering, the work site you were stopping at wasn't Dorevitch Pathology was it JEM? A bit off-topic sorry.
Dorevitch Patholy:confused: where's that, never noticed it.

It's the Department of Human Services building which is part of the Nokia building over the road from the dealer.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
For the same price I would take a Mustang Cobra over a 4 door Falcon anyday. Who cares if the quality is ****, if thats what I wanted in a car id get a Honda.
First mods would have to be a blower, lowering springs and some 18s though :D:D:cool: :cool:

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
I lurrrvvveee the stang. Exterior styling and the exhaust note is just plain sex on wheels. The interior is another matter. Looks like it's been lifted straight from the '80s. If you could get an up to date interior, build them here at Broady then you'd near have the perfect pony car.

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
If you think the interior is 80s AFTER Tickford convert the cars over, what about BEFORE?

Try this one: the American Mustang still uses a pull type headlight switch! Remember the XD Falcons????? :eek: :eek: That's the one! I know - Tony showed me last week. BTW; the last of the Mustangs was going down the line last Friday. SO, no more until the next shipment of 113 cars. Almost all the last cars were black convertibles.

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Geeez no wonder the americans love our falcons. Yeah i don't really mind the interior it doesn't offend but it's definitly retro 80's stuff. Like the plastics they use and the dash especially on the passenger side it looks like it's the same as the drivers side minus the instrument cluster, i guess thats why it was possible to switch sides.

·
Ford Member
1,156 Posts
Dissapointed.

The mustang wasn't as good as I was deluding my self it was.

Expencive, and in the Australia market not good enough.

And I take it as a bad omen that ford is importing cars from the USA but not giving anything to them. Export 100 XR's or LTD's or T series or Utes and guage reaction. Export 1 for Car magazines, or atleast something.

Dissapointing too was the engine, sounded great but ive looked at the figures and that engine in a heavier sedan is never going to impress even the base 5.7L car, if holden goes 24 or 32 valve OHC later with the gen IV what is ford going to do? Stroke the 5.4 with a even longer stroke??

Good thing is that is showed how good Ford australia are at getting the core of things right (except styling). Trim, refinement, quality control, interior design are leap years ahead. If Ford Aust had more say in the design for the mustang, I belive they could truely have a good car.

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
I've been led to believe that the all new 2003 mustang goes a long way to resolve the issues with the interior and such. Just hope Ford US can get the build quality right.. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Well I wouldn't own one. I don't like the ride height and the wheel arches and for me the two door is not practical. Is it good for Fords image? well that is another thing completely.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
I would hazard a guess and say the build quality isnt all that good cause the car is pulled apart and reassembled with non-factory parts. If anyone has pulled apart a dash before then you know it rattles a crap load more than what it did beforehand.

·
Future XR Owner
2,245 Posts
Martin said:
I would hazard a guess and say the build quality isnt all that good cause the car is pulled apart and reassembled with non-factory parts. If anyone has pulled apart a dash before then you know it rattles a crap load more than what it did beforehand.
The journos seem to think that quality is improved after tickford have finished with it.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
HSE2 said:
...I don't like the ride height and the wheel arches...
Yeh I'm with you there HSE,
The ride height is waaayyy to high in my opinion.You could stick your head between the wheel arch and tyre.
But I would still have one in a second! ;) Not much hastle to lower it I wouldn't think. As for build quality, what would I care, I'm driving a Mussie..it's a legend.
Rastus

·
Future XR Owner
2,245 Posts
IPhido said:
And I take it as a bad omen that ford is importing cars from the USA but not giving anything to them. Export 100 XR's or LTD's or T series or Utes and guage reaction. Export 1 for Car magazines, or atleast something.
From what I've read, it looks as though Ford Oz will be exporting RHD converted Stangs to the UK! The journos over there have already had a media test car there, and have written reports on it and are quite impressed with it. And they say that its performance isn't far off the TVR, so find out how quick this TVR is, and you'll get an idea as to how quick the Mustang REALLY is.

Dissapointing too was the engine, sounded great but ive looked at the figures and that engine in a heavier sedan is never going to impress even the base 5.7L car, if holden goes 24 or 32 valve OHC later with the gen IV what is ford going to do? Stroke the 5.4 with a even longer stroke??

I guess these are the performance figures MOTOR/wheels released :rolleyes:

I have heard some very interesting things about the figures published for the Mustang by the mags.

here is something from a UK article concerning the RHD Mustang..

The good news is that the new Mustang isn't like any of its forebears. The wheezy, lazy engines are out and the boulevard-friendly handling is but a memory. In outright terms, the car feels balanced, the chassis is taut and the powerplant is a cracker. The 4.6-litre 32-valve V8 is a modern, efficient engine developing 320bhp at 6,000rpm and 430Nm of torque at 4,750rpm. But what those numbers can't convey is how usable the power delivery feels. The V8 gives a great surge from idle, and there's no need to rev it hard as all the fun happens before you reach 5,500rpm.

There are few better-sounding production cars in a showroom anywhere. The 'Stang burbles and makes you shift gears purely for the aural thrill of nearly five litres of burning fuel and air. Unlike most US motors, it has a five-speed manual gearbox rather than an auto. It's a weird pattern, too, with a 'dog-leg' first gear, and while it's deadly accurate the shifter can be awkward to move. The big problem is the interior, about which the conversion team could do nothing. It has cheap plastics, questionable switch placement, and seats that feel narrow and hard. But if you can live with that, the Mustang is a great way to turn heads.

The converted right-hand-drive Mustang should gather a modest following when it reaches the UK. The engine sounds good enough to trounce a TVR, and the performance isn't far behind, either. Surprisingly, the handling is taut, too, and even after travelling around the world, it seems reasonable value.

Sorry about the long post :p

·
Future XR Owner
2,245 Posts
Rastus said:
As for build quality, what would I care, I'm driving a Mussie..it's a legend.
Rastus
Thats right, they'll sell no matter what, because of its image/ heritige.

And put it this way, its quality couldn't be any worse than a commodore!

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
Okay, here we go:

1. The dash Tickford use is produced by the OEM company and so is of same quality and materials.
2. The dash looks symmetrical but isn't (look across the car and you will find the driver's side deeper into the cabin).
3. All other parts are brand new or are reworked originals.
4. The firewall and trans tunnel are stronger than the original.
5. Tickford add considerable changes to improve noise isolation, steering and ventilation/Air Cond.
6. Switchgear is much improved over the American original.
7. The Cobra engine had cast iron manifolds - Tickford upgrade to proper headers.

As for Holden going to OHC V8s, I can't see it. Gen 3 is a near new design that does a great job. The cost of the GM OHC V8s (Northstar etc) would be way too high for our market. Plus consider Gen 3 will be tooled up and produced locally from 2002/3.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
About this Discussion
25 Replies
11 Participants
VilkasMaximus
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing