Ford Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 58 plate 1.6 Focus. 51,000 miles. Deisel.

Last year we had the ecu completely fried by a battery dying, at a cost of £1k.

This year we've had a new alternator because an error came up.

Two months later the car is still having power issues. Lights flickering when turn wheel, or when putting window up.
We've taken it back and the garage have found the alternator is over charging at 14.9 instead of 13.8 - 14.4.

When you google over charging alternator, it can lead to boiling of the acid in the battery, which in turn can lead to frying of the ecu, which has happened to us already.

What my question is, is this a common problem with Focus's ?

What wider issue could be causing the alternator to be overcharging, because both the battery and alternator are new.

We're at our wits end, and just want to get it sorted before the ecu is fried
again.
Many Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello,

Thanks for your help.

So you don't think that it's part of an onging issue, and something else is causing them to break ?

We just don't know what to do for the best.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

We were just wondering if there is anything else wrong with our car that would keep the alternators overcharging ?

We've booked it into another garage tomorrow to see what they think about it.

Thanks,

Angela.

·
Super Moderator
22,746 Posts
If it was not a good make and correct type or a reconditioned . remanufactured alternator , that could be your problem .There are many that are often inferior and problematic from different suppliers . You should double check that the battery that was replaced was the correct one for your model of Focus .Also advisable to get battery LOAD tested to see overall condition . If battery low , for whatever reason , alternator has to work over time . I doubt there is anything really wrong with your car other than the alternator but cant say for certain from here .Just be careful going to another garage as they probably wont replace alternator under warranty if they did not supply it and there are a lot of " cowboys " in this field

P.s

I was going to move the post to the Ford Focus section but will leave as is .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you. We just haven't a clue about cars.

I think it was a cowboy we went to to start with. Fingers crossed the new garage tomorrow does proper tests.

Thanks for the info, going to give it to my husband to go fully armed with questions.

Many Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts