Ford Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter has a the98 windstar, it had a small radiator hose leak. Long story short my daughter forgot to put coolant and she overheated. She said there was a 1,2 knock (says sound came from side of vehicle) a couple miles later it stop accelerating and began to slow down, so pulled over and had it towed. Dad has replaced the upper hose. It won't start it cranks but won't catch and stay on. He took the radiator cap off while trying to start and coolant came shooting out of the radiator with force.any advice or help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
22,544 Posts
Looks like she has AT LEAST blown the cyl head gaskets / possibly cracked heads resulting in cooling system pressurising as only one symptom . A long shot would be removing the thermostat , take out spark plugs and see if wet to try and start but not too hopeful . Sounds really serious

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like she has AT LEAST blown the cyl head gaskets / possibly cracked heads resulting in cooling system pressurising as only one symptom . A long shot would be removing the thermostat , take out spark plugs and see if wet to try and start but not too hopeful . Sounds really serious
Thanks for the input. Someone before us took out the thermostat. Hopefully just the gasket. The gasket was my next step just from reading a couple threads. My son thought there might be an engine fail safe and that cut the engine when she overheated. Wasn't sure how to reset that.

·
Super Moderator
22,544 Posts
Dont know of any failsafe . Could check oil level in case coolant in sump which could cause further damage if you keep cranking the engine .

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you need a set of heads, I have a pair that came off a 2001 Windstar. I would sent them for the shipping.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts