Ford Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 1993 f-150 started to overheat the other day,i stoped at my machanic and he said i needed a new waterpump. since then the temp. has remained in the normal level.what else could have caused the temp. to rise and go back to normal.and do u think i need to rush out and get a new pump...
ALLAN :wnc:

·
Registered
340 Posts
First, be sure to check your coolant level when the vehicle is cold. Top it off if required.

A bad water pump will often leak from the weep hole towards the bottom of the pump body. Crawl under your truck and take a look. Any leak will be obvious. If it is leaking, you have to replace the pump.

If the weep hole is dry, your thermostat is most likely the culprit. 5 bucks for a new thermostat and gasket and 15 minutes of labor and you'll be back on the road.

When thermostats start to go bad, they often stick in the closed position. If the thermostat doesn't open, the hot coolant from the engine block can't flow to the radiator to be cooled, causing the engine to run hot. A new thermostat will most likely fix the problem.

Brian

·
97 F-150 XL 4x4
799 Posts
if you take the rad cap off and then start the engine as the engine drives the water pump you should see fluid start to flow in the rad and as the temp rises and the therm opens you will see more coolant flow, probably to the point where it will overflow the open rad neck.
this will indicate that the pump is working fine.
my money is on the bad therm as well.
if a pump is goin bad 90% of the time it will develop a leak before it ever gets bad enough to affect engine temp.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts