Ford Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
G'day all.

Just wondering if anyone had a remedy to a little problem I've got. It seems that I've got a bit overenthusiastic in my polishing a few times, and have left some polish residue on the black plastic trim around the drivers side mirror. It's left a fairly ugly white shade on the plastic, which isn't visible from a distance, but certainly is from up close. I haven't come up with any decent ideas on how to fix this, the only thing I can think of is something like heavy duty boot polish? :-/

As you can see, I'm clutching at straws here :( Any ideas guys?

Mike

·
BSR
2,279 Posts
Had the same prob on my EL also......used a product call seal and shine. Dont think you can buy this in shops, i got mine of a mate who is a detailer. Works great.

Anyway if ya passing through Newy, i can give you some

Rob

·
Registered
542 Posts
Mike,

Meguiars make a product in their Deep cyystal range. It is a paint cleaner and is used to remove contaminants/old polish before repolishing. I used it on my wagon and now I swear by it.

All the best

Paul

·
Registered
542 Posts
Mike,

It's actually Deep Crystal Paint cleaner
(Im suffering from the fat finger syndrome)
All the best

Paul

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
Use a little 'Prepsol' preparation solution. Its what painters use to cut wax and silicon off paint before painting it. Works wonders.

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
Mike,

Have to agree with the comments on Megiuars. Excellent. Works wonders with bugs etc too.

If the paint cleaner doesn't work (which I doubt) try the quickdetail spray or the old metho/water mix might be cheaper option.

PS. the rubber seals don't much like the paint cleaner.

·
Registered
67 Posts
hey mike,
If the plastic feels like matte or the smooth shiny type?
I use Black Trim Wax from Car plan, I found it quite good. I still have only used it once I bought and used it last Sept and still havent found use of it again. My side mirror and mud spats are still black and no greying. It works similar like a shoe polish, just dont get it on your paint...if you do get it off with a dry clean rag asap.

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies guys! Yeah I'm gonna try a few different things, I'll let you all know how it goes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts