Ford Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an EFII XR6 navy blue in colour. The paint is peeling off the rear spoiler. Is this a common problem with this colour or am I just unlucky? Has Ford reported a problem with this model car or colour paint ?

S

·
0 Posts
I have this same colour(galaxy blue) in a EL1. Although my car has been resprayed. I noticed this colour chips so easy and the base coat shows up like dogs balls.

Did you know, every new Falcon off the production line, when it gets to the dealer has to be buffed back, and if that dont work they respray the roof, bonnet and boot. I dont know if its the wax they ship them in, or the Peroxide they take it off with or just crap painting at factory.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the same Dark Blue EL II. I park on the street and some charming person threw and egg at it the other night. Fine no problem washed it off but where it hit the paint chipped and crazed. Looks like it was hit with a hammer!! All that from an Egg. Yes the undercoat really stands out too. Not sure what to doo about it now this was on the rear drivers door.... Oh well Cest la vie.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I had an egg thrown at my car as well. Tried touching up the paint but it was useless as it was just making it more un attractive. I was tempted to you use cut and polish but I was told by the dealer this was a bad option. Any other suggestion?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I kind of get the impression anything other than having the whole panel resprayed will just make it look worse. Even then you have to hope they match the colour properly. I haven't tried to touch it up yet think I might give it a miss now. If anyone does have any cost effective ideas to get it looking Ok again it would be nice.

·
Australian Member
255 Posts
I've bought touch-up paint.. I find that it sucks. I've had stupid people open the car doors without a care in the world leaving sctraches and dents over my car...

The touch up paint doenst shine. Its like a flat matt finish..

·
BSR
2,279 Posts
Might have been respeyed before in acrylic and not 2pac. Acrylic chips very easily. Needs to be sprayed in 2pac and baked.

·
BSR
2,279 Posts
Any good smash repairer should have a baking oven. Im no panel beater but i would expect to pay about $100

J

·
0 Posts
I have the same problem with My Midnight Blue EFII, the paint on the Rear Spoiler (Factory fitted) is faded and matted. I also have crappy paintwork due to Bird Crap or something, it was already present when I bought it. As to fixing it I have not bothered but I would take it to a Panel Beater. I think its a plastic spolier.

·
Registered
542 Posts
The Wagon's rear spoiler has also faded (Le Mans Red) comes back up though with a good polish. Don't know if it's fibreglass or plastic but if painted properly it shouldn't matter.

Cheers

Paul B
xr6wgn

·
Registered
453 Posts
Black S said:
I've bought touch-up paint.. I find that it sucks. I've had stupid people open the car doors without a care in the world leaving sctraches and dents over my car...

The touch up paint doenst shine. Its like a flat matt finish..
I'm no paint expert but I do know that you need to use clear coat over the color to get the shine. Without clear you wont get the depth of color or shine.

·
known as tibbo
2,033 Posts
the panel beater at work does a few of them and the bumpers also....u need to use some special etching primer before u even use the putty paint and undercoat.(because its fibreglass or plastic.....does yours even have an undercoat?? because most aftermarket one are never done properly just color coded and installed..

u can take it to any spray shop and they'll fix it 4 u....cheaper if u take it off and sand it yourself even?... but $100 seems about right for a repaint in 2 pac if u walk in with it...prob more if u want them to take it off and put it back on....

anyone else notice the front bars (EF/EL) seem to craze around the h/lights and air intake dams.

·
known as tibbo
2,033 Posts
mbrown42 said:

I'm no paint expert but I do know that you need to use clear coat over the color to get the shine. Without clear you wont get the depth of color or shine.

the tins u get are not 2 pac paint (wet off the gun look) but only acrylic ...so u need to finish it off

1200 grade paper (supa fine) your last coat of color.,. then spray the clear ...."I'm no paint expert but I do know that you need to use clear coat over the color to get the shine. Without clear you wont get the depth of color or shine." your on it MBROWN42

Once u do the clear
(spray a slight larger area than your coloured patch) then u need to actually 'cut' the clear to bring out the shine.

Cutting compound is really just a slightly more abrasive polish,, but it doesn't have wax in it so a normal polish will finish the job

u can get cutting compound where ever u get your polish...

i'm not a pro but i installed a bonnet scoop and matched it up a treat using about $25 of stuff from AutoPro.

Good Luck and don't b Scared

·
Registered
540 Posts
mbrown42 said:

No ford with a solid color has a clear coat ie red. If i ever brought a new car that dident have a clear coat i would get it painted with a coat of clear you can get some that are very durable but they cost about $1000 a liter.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts