Ford Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
XR Wannabee
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on painting my dash surround dark green, the same colour as the vehicle body.

Anyone know if a special type of paint is required to paint the plastic or should it be ok just getting the normal paint used on the exterior?

Anything else I might need to know?

·
gone
10,402 Posts
make sure they prepare the plastic for painting..

A couple good wipes with metho/turps will get rid of any oil,grease and any crap!

·
Old Car:BA XR6 New: 97 EL
1,031 Posts
Spinksy, have you looked at the Interior Dash Trim Kits. You can get Woodgrain, Brushed Alloy or Carbon Fibre. Probably Cheaper and easier than painting.

Email me and i'll give you some info on them.

·
Officially Bored with 347
3,584 Posts
Hey man...
Check out the latest Street Machine mag im sure its what you are after
Cool
Brett

·
89 DA LTD 3.9MPI
364 Posts
dash trim kits

I wouldn't mind some info on dash trim kits. If possible I want the woodgrain look for my dash. Its an LTD but the dash is no different from an EA Falcon. I've done some spraying to make it look better but I want more of a luxurious look such as the car deserves. So any info on these kits would be great.

·
XR Wannabee
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its done!

Hey everyone,

I put up this post a month or so ago and finally got around to painting my dash.

I originally was going to paint it dark green but eventually went with black to contrast against the grey. If anyone else is considering doing any painting here is how it came out.

I used a can of Gloss black VHT vinyl paint which was a piece of piss to spray. I just prepared it with wax and grease remover and i think it came out pretty well. Not bad for $20 when you consider how much buying the dash trim kits would cost.

What do u think?

·
Chromed Member
1,810 Posts
from my experiences with painting plastic, I always use a pressure pack of plastic primer first, then spray on the color. The primer goes on clear and looks "wet", then seems to dissapear. It helps the paint "flex" and is the g.o for bumpers etc!;)

Dash looks good though, does it wear OK, eg from touching it??

·
XR Wannabee
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah it seems very durable. I tested it first on a plastic ashtray which used to be in the dash. It dries very quickly and within ten minutes of painting i could scratch it with my fingernails and it wasn't affected.

The vinyl paint is actually a die so it doesn't really feel like there is a layer of paint on top of the plastic surface. It is also designed to flex with the plastic, so it looks like it should be very durable.

·
2004 BA XT Falcon Ute
84 Posts
Hey Spinksy, hows the dash going? I mean in terms of wear, looks, etc? The paint hasn't come off or anything like that?

·
XR Wannabee
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, its in perfect condition :)

Has not worn at all and still looks just as good as the day I did it. The car also spends a lot of time out in the sun when I am at work but hasn't faded or shown any signs of wear at all.

Im really happy with the VHT stuff, its seems to be really good quality. I have also sprayed my brakes and callipers with their VHT paint and even that still looks perfect and I did that about 6 months ago.

·
XR Wannabee
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
These are the brakes... bit dark but you can still see it.

They used to be covered in rust so the paint makes em look a bit better.

·
2004 BA XT Falcon Ute
84 Posts
That's good news Spinksy, I might give a try soon (I'm sick of the chocolate coloured dash.)

·
Still Dazed and Confused
473 Posts
Very nice, Spinsky. It's exactly what I'm about to do to my EF Fairmont. Question - Where did you get that brushed alloy instrument cluster panel from, and would you know where to get woodgrain inserts from?

·
Still Dazed and Confused
473 Posts
Did mine yesterday and I can say it is well worth it. If looks are worth barring up over, then I'm spent.

Has anyone done the woodgrain to go with the black dash. Now that would be something!

·
Still Dazed and Confused
473 Posts
Sure. I'll post them later this afternoon.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts