Ford Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.

I got a EB 1992 Model, stock standard stuff, In my quest to brighten it up an bit and add a bit of street presence to it (IE that of a sprint) , I'm adding some side skirts, ED XR6/8 Headlight covers, lowering it and painting the grey trims on the side red (same as the car) and the middle stripe around the trim silver (or mabey will leave it, we'll see).

Now I've been quoted $200 for both skirts, If I put both skirts on will I need to add a front skirt and rear apron to make it even out, or does it look straight when they put it on? (saw an EB tickford sprint on www.chickz.org, wicked site to the dood with the XF, and It didn't seem to have any front or rear skirts but still looked straight) so if some one could confirm that for me that would be awsome.

Also, back to the title, Paint job, what would the probability of getting a matched spray can full of paint the same color as the car, and on a sunny day, painting the side trims the same color as the car, and doing it so it doesn't look **** house? Any tips on how to do this? any Ideas on what I could use as a barrier between the rims and the carbody itself (so I dont get that bubble overlay thing happening?)

N e tips would be more than helpful.

Cheers in advance

Dan

·
Australian Ford Member
1,120 Posts
What Botch says, and make sure you prepsol it thoroughly before applying the primer. The finised job is only as good as the preparation. And several light coats are better than one thick one. You can recoat after five to ten minutes. I've found Holt's Duplicolor spray cans give the best spray. Autoplus is too thick a spray. If you can't get an exact match in the one specified for your car, experiment with other ones for different makes of car - you'll probably get one close enough somewhere in the range.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Ive used 'Powerplus' paint which you can get from Supercheap at less than $10 for a full size can, the colour matched up perfectly on my old EA, but it was White....

Also use 'low tack' masking tape

·
Australian Ford Member
1,120 Posts
Martin said:

Also use 'low tack' masking tape
I forgot that. It is critical, as I found out when I pulled the standard house grade masking tape off one of my early jobs and gave myself some more paint to replace. The best stuff comes from auto paint suppliers. The house grade low tack may not resist the solvents in auto paints.

Another possibility on matches is to get it computer matched on a small part, like the fuel filler door, and get one of those gas powered glass bottles from Autobarn or wherever. Sorry I can't remember the brand name.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts