Ford Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm trying to get some verification on something a Ford mechanic, whose statement I have little faith in, said.

I'm in the process of trying to resolve a backup sensor issue with my 2003 Ford Expedition.
Originally we took it into a Ford shop so they could do a diagnostic on it. The report said that the left backup, and possibly the PAM, was bad. I replaced both the backup sensor and then the PAM but still not luck. I'm still getting that error on the console stating, "Check backup aid".
I figured I'd take it back in, this time to a different shop, to have the diagnosis again. I took the Expedition back, this time to a different shop. This shop told me that the PAM needs to be reprogrammed. There was noting on the PAM nor in the box that said this. The service guy also said that would take 3 hours to program. Now, I don't know this particular but I have an extensive tech background and that seems like BS. Even if the firmware was the size (12 megs) of one of the latest PC motherboards and had to be programmed at a very slow 2400bps, it would still take only 85 minute.

I'd like to find out if anyone has either experience replacing backup sensors/PAM or had it done. If you had it done, did it take 3 hours.
As I understand it, some of the newer PAM do require reprogramming but that is usually stated on the PAM itself.

Thanks,
Michael G

·
Super Moderator
20,945 Posts
You dont say what the issue is and are trying to resolve .Take it you have tried the " hearing test " as was suggested on the other forum you also posted on ?

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I don't think a PAM that old needs programmed. If it has check park aid lamp did they give you a code list of what's going on? As far a s 3 hours no way. Our dealer at most for any module reflash would be 1 hour. If they are installing and it's horrible to change maybe more but park aid is usually fairly easy to change. And I really don't think it's programmable module but will have to check

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
R.S.LOGAN. Thanks for the link. I will give that a try tomorrow.

Hearing test: No clicking at all. Interesting thing. While testing it, I had my wife start the vehicle up and put it in reverse, while I stood behind it (being very sure she wasn't mad at me at the time :muha:), and I could get it to beep sometimes. I also noticed that it would beep consistently when I had my bike rack on. If I had to guess I'd say it only detects things right up close to the sensor.

Codes:
First Diagnostic.
Left outer sensor: C1700
PAM: C1983 (As reported in the link R.S.LOGAN pointed me to so his suggestion my fix this)

The seconds diagnostic stated.
Accessory Diagnosis - Check back up sensors, don't even sound at all. Verified concern need to install new module and perform TSB to reprogram. Estimate given $324.00 + tax - Retest N/C

No codes given on this one so I now wonder how they diagnosed. If he just did the hearing test, I feel a little ripped off. I have to say I was in a bit of shock from what he said it would cost that I probably didn't do my do diligence in questioning that report.

Thanks all for the suggestions. Hopefully I'll have good news tomorrow.

·
Registered
2 Posts
R.S.LOGAN. Thanks for the link. I will give that a try tomorrow.

Hearing test: No clicking at all. Interesting thing. While testing it, I had my wife start the vehicle up and put it in reverse, while I stood behind it (being very sure she wasn't mad at me at the time :muha:), and I could get it to beep sometimes. I also noticed that it would beep consistently when I had my bike rack on. If I had to guess I'd say it only detects things right up close to the sensor.

Codes:
First Diagnostic.
Left outer sensor: C1700
PAM: C1983 (As reported in the link R.S.LOGAN pointed me to so his suggestion my fix this)

The seconds diagnostic stated.
Accessory Diagnosis - Check back up sensors, don't even sound at all. Verified concern need to install new module and perform TSB to reprogram. Estimate given $324.00 + tax - Retest N/C

No codes given on this one so I now wonder how they diagnosed. If he just did the hearing test, I feel a little ripped off. I have to say I was in a bit of shock from what he said it would cost that I probably didn't do my do diligence in questioning that report.

Thanks all for the suggestions. Hopefully I'll have good news tomorrow.

Apparently Michael never made it back and I fear his wife may have backed over him....

Michael, are you still out there? What did you find out?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Michael had/has the same issue I am having on my 2007 Ford Edge. They want 100.00 to scan it and let me know. I don't want to pay 100.00 bucks....

What I have done prior to all of this was check the sensors for the clicking and consistent sound from each, fuses, and I replaced the parking assist module located on the rear driver side interior wheel well.

Anyone out there know if they have to be reprogramed due to consistency errors? Does the new one need to be programed?

Any help or point to links would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
8,596 Posts
This is a 6 year old post, you really ought to start a new one. Could be the backup sensor(s).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts