Ford Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
XD's rule
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my XD gearbox is getting a bit sad, and I was thinking of converting to a T5 5spd - I priced a t5 from a XF @ $395 w/6months warranty from a wreckers, is that a decent price ?

I know I need - bellhousing from a 5spd 4.1
but do I need -
clucth? (hope not, since the current one is only a few thousand k's old)
flywheel ?
tailshaft ?
gearbox mount ?

will the hole in the floor match up?

cheers :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Get as much of the 5 speed as you can from the wrecker. What you don't use you can sell as someone somewhere will need it at some stage.

Including everything from the flywheel (and bolts even), bell housing to the tailshaft, the crossmember, the pedal box and cable, shifter, shifter boot, console, the trans tunnel cover, the wiring loom & plug, speedo drive, phew i think thats it.

I just fitted an EB (or ED not sure) T5 into my XE behind an EF engine. All i got with the box was clutch/flywheel, the box, tailshaft and shifter. I didn't get the pedal box or cable or anything else which is a spew. I had to try and track down that stuff a year later which was not fun or so cheap from another wrecker. The flywheel i got with the gearbox turned out to have stress fractures and i just used an old crossflow one i had sitting around. They're all the same.

Anyway it is pretty straight forward to fit. Do yourself a favour and change the gear oil while the box is out of the car. Use Penrite XTRA light gear oil. $18 for 2.5 litres. It only takes 1.9 litres to fill the box. Use an 8mm hex key to undo the drain plugs and fill to the level of the top plug.

Any dramas let me know.

·
XD's rule
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the car already has a 4speed sing rail gearbox in it, so I shouldnt need the pedal box and all that stuff right ?

so the flywheel is the same, what about the clutch plate, cable & pressure plate, is the same on the 4spd single rail setups vs. the T5 5 spd setups ?
is the tailshaft on the 4spd manual the same length as the T5?

is $395 a decent price for a XF T5 box ?

thanks for the help :)

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
All you need is gearbox, stick and knob, bellhousing, clutch fork and cable, and a plate for the crossmember. Nothing else.

·
NON TURBO XF....
240 Posts
$395 is a good price for a T5, especially if it comes with a warranty - i am selling mine for $400 without a warranty but i have used it for 6 months and it's perfect.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Although the basic parts WBT56 listed will do the job....

As somebody who has just done the conversion, believe me when i say
GET EVERY PART EVEN IF YOU DON"T *THINK* YOU NEED IT. especially if they'll throw in those bits for the same price.

Pedal boxes crack from fatigue (as mine did)
Clutches wear
Cables snap
Flywheels can show stress marks (as mine did)

One thing you've totally overlooked is the trans tunnel cover. I'm reasonably confident that the shifter location is different between the 4 speed and 5 speed. Its easy enough to hack it out bigger with a jig saw

Now if you go to do the job and find that, say for example the flywheel has all these little fissures in it, are you going to curse and scream or are you just going to pick up the part and replace it?

Also remember that it is an opportune time to change 3 other components should the need arise.
1. spigot bearing
2. rear welsh plug
3 rear main seal

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
As the title suggests, he is after the parts NEEDED to complete the swap. Clearly on a budget, so would not want to purchase parts not required. I mean, being an XD I could have suggest to change the door handles while the car is off the road.

·
XD's rule
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well thanks for the help guys...
i got the $395 price while i was in melb for a week, (staying with parents about 500 km away until uni starts again), at Barry Fetter wreckers (preston) - i went and talked to my mechanic back home, he said he can get me everything i might need for $450 including clutch - which I wont need, the current clutch / pressure plate is only about 10,000 km's old - the flywheel didnt look to bad then, so hopefully its still a-ok... clutch cable was also replaced.

the reason i'm going for a 5spd is the current box is getting very noisy, crunchy into second and first is all but impossible if your moving at over 15 km/hr... pretty annoying in the city

i will definetly do the rear welch plug, 2 years ago i replaced the rest, they were almost rusted away ... I cant belive the rear is still going hehe :)

wtb56... shes running on 3/4 doorhandles atm, so it might be on the cards :D your correct, im trying to do it on as tight as a budget as I can, hell, rego+tyres+this will cost more than the car is worth.

dammit, I was hoping the shifter was in the same place - its going to be a bitch to get a centre console and all that shit... oh well... shit happens I suppose :(

are the 1-2-3 ratio's any tighter in a falcon T-5 vs the old 4spd ?
thanks for the help guys :)

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Shifter is in the same place. Ratios start off lower.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts