Ford Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Officially Bored with 347
3,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is it with Ford???,I mean seriously people... just priced afew parts from ford which sat me on my a**
R/Cover gaskets $89ea
1 piece neoprene sump gasket $147 :(
I can understand the expensiveness for "PERFORMANCE PARTS" but gaskets etc sheesh....
Looks like Repco cheapies are the go:( :( :(

·
Australian Ford Member
1,120 Posts
I still buy things from Repco, but I'm a bit wary of their parts after they gave me oversize universal joints for the prop shaft. It was hard, but I got them in. I thought they were pretty tight, but it's years since I'd done unis so I assumed that I'd been given the right part. Then I drove it and it sounded like a prop driven bomber taking off. Took them back to Repco and got a refund without any trouble, but they still reckoned they were the right part. Got correct part from another source who wasn't very complimentary about Repco unis - reckoned they're cheap Chinese stuff made to poor tolerances - but he also said Repco's OK for some things but not others.

Repco's not all that cheap either. I've seen a few things there a lot more expensive than K-mart - one was a battery charger switch at about twice the $13 K-mart had on it.

I get most of my parts from a small local general supplier and he's generally cheaper than Repco and Bursons.

·
300+rwkw DC LTD Member
1,622 Posts
Call me a snob but, I prefer to use FOMOCO replacement parts. Or when unavailable I use high quality parts. Especialty on the LTD. It's cheaper to buy a head gasket set then just a rocker cover set. Plus you have spare for that one time you know you will need it.

·
3,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nah mate ive always gone for genuine parts for my baby it just shocked me to find out the prices..
Im currently using cork/rubber laminated r/c gaskets ford#JM400 but am gettn peeved having to retension/replace every 6mths cause they go hard & leak.. The original gaskets were steel/rubber lined units which last for years but when i got the eng done they chucked em:fmad: the passenger side isok to do but the drivers side is a b****
does anyone know of aftermarket(who said that?) gaskets of equal quality but better price
Cool
Brett

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
ACL Gaskets are damn good. Larry Perkins uses them and they have a high performance range for Ford and Holden V8s amongst others.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Felpro gaskets are supposed to be good too.

·
Australian BA XR6 Falcon
1,249 Posts
I'll second the vote for Felpro, I have used them a few times now on Windsors. Last set I bought was $99 for a full Felpro Blue about 2 years ago, comes complete with gaskets for older Windsors and 5.0's, the rocker cover/sump is still cork though, but I have never had a problem with them.

Kieron

·
300+rwkw DC LTD Member
1,622 Posts
felpro is gooood

I agree, I do use Felpo and a set hasn't failed me yet. I reused my metal rocer cover gaskets for ages. Untill recently when I replaced them with cork. No leaks yet but I'll keep ya posted..

·
I want a turtle!
2,635 Posts
I got felpro gaskets when I got my engine rebuilt a couple of weeks ago. The car has only been on the road for 10 days now so I am still yet to form a judgment on them.

One thing that blew me away about the price of parts was the timing chain cover..

$1200 retail from ford.
$800 trade price

$415 to get one made for me by a company called "KillKenny Castings"

·
3,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Holy Shi* For that price it have wanna be made out of billet ally & anodised so it wont corrode :eek: :eek: :eek:
GEEZ
Brett

G

·
0 Posts
XR8chic said:

One thing that blew me away about the price of parts was the timing chain cover..

$1200 retail from ford.
$800 trade price

$415 to get one made for me by a company called "KillKenny Castings"
Ford seem to have a large profit margin on parts I remember asking for a price of a leather steering wheel for my ED which was Momo and they quoted $935.
I end up buying one at a spoiler shop which is the same Momo steering wheel for $490.

$1200 for a timing chain cover! how do they justify that! :fmad:

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I just bought a new rear muffler and tailpipe for the EB I6, $143 from Ford or $62 aftermarket; guess which one I got.:rolleyes:

·
Australian Ford Member
1,120 Posts
EA S said:
I still buy things from Repco, but I'm a bit wary of their parts after they gave me oversize universal joints for the prop shaft
Just discovered that one of two Repco rear wheel bearings I installed on my XF collapsed with maybe 3,000k on it. Same thing happened with one of the two front Repco bearings I put on it earlier, but I'd assumed that the bearing was OK and I must have damaged it installing it (although given the side loads they work under I was wondering how I could have managed that when I didn't do anything silly putting it on). Rear wheel bearings were pressed on by professional so that couldn't have been me stuffing it up again. Car hasn't done anything that could possibly put an unusual load on any bearings.

Two duds in four bearings and two duds in two uni joints is a 66% failure rate.

I ain't buying anything else that's branded Repco and requires decent engineering, good metalwork, or close tolerances. Ford parts, here I come!

·
Shh i'm huntin more power
1,764 Posts
EA S

You might find you have just been unlucky, there are alot of ford parts that are identical to the aftermarket part becuase they come from the same supplier. There are parts that i would only go genuine on, but for bearings i would aftermarket.

Jase

·
Australian Ford Member
1,120 Posts
Jase

I was wondering whether they all came from the same few factories. That's the trouble with changing brands - you never know if you're really getting something different, although sometimes you can pick it up from markings on the item or it's pretty obvious they came out the same factory or mould. I actually used another aftermarket bearing for the dud front and it's held up fine so far. I'm still not keen on Repco, for obvious reasons.

Maybe I am just unlucky. I had two consecutive ABS clutches on the XF and they both went at about a quarter to a third of the minumum I'd expect, and I'm not hard on clutches. In fairness to them, they replaced the first one free of charge and did a rear main for free as well while they were at it, so their service was fantastic. I still didn't go back after the second because I don't trust the part.

·
Shh i'm huntin more power
1,764 Posts
EA S

I've had alot of experience with Repco stuff and also Bursons. I've found the Bursons stuff to be of alot better quality. EG. All the bursons steering stuff i've had (tie rods, ball joints etc) have come with grease nipples whereas the repco stuff hasn't.

Kelli

I was just looking around at parts on the web, a timing case cover is about $125US, thats a huge markup ford have going there. You could get that over here for what $250-300.
http://www.oemfordparts.com/partdetails.asp?PartID=820&CategoryID=16

·
Australian BA XR6 Falcon
1,249 Posts
Jase_ELXR8 said:

I was just looking around at parts on the web, a timing case cover is about $125US, thats a huge markup ford have going there. You could get that over here for what $250-300.
http://www.oemfordparts.com/partdetails.asp?PartID=820&CategoryID=16

For some reason Windsor timing chain covers command big $$'s wherever you go. When rebuilding the 302W in my old Mustang, I had to replace it, ended up getting a 2nd hand refurbished one from a 289 for $85. The cheapest I could find a new one for was around $180.

Thing is, as long as you look after your coolant, these things will last a good 20 years +.

Kieron

·
Australian Ford Member
1,120 Posts
Jase_ELXR8 said:
EA S

I've had alot of experience with Repco stuff and also Bursons. I've found the Bursons stuff to be of alot better quality.
Jase

Confirms what a couple of mechanics have said to me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts