Ford Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
I know nothing...
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I've no idea about cars at all, but I wonder if anyone could help me please?

I put my car into the gargae to get a new clutch put on it - the mechanic then phoned me and told me I also needed a "gear selector rod mechanism" as well. that was all fine so I went and collected my car today - since I've got it back I have a speedo that doesn't work and my engine warning light has came on.
When I called them they said it would be fine and to bring it in tomorrow - they also said the engine warning light was for the alternator :huh:

So my question is - has anyone ever came across this before, and would you say they were trust worthy enough to give my car back too, to fix?

Its a 2001 Y reg Ford KA classic, 1.3 manual.

Many thank yous to anyone who can shed some light on this for me,

cheers
hx

·
Registered
240 Posts
If your speedo isn't working, that will cause the engine light to come on. Most speedo's have a speed sensor in them for the EFI computer & if it's not connected it will trigger a fault code & the light will come on. Maybe they haven't connected the speedo after the clutch job.

·
CaR bUfF pRoDiGy
219 Posts
tufLTD said:
Maybe they haven't connected the speedo after the clutch job.

agreed, good thinkin. :hy:

·
I know nothing...
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice one, thank you very much. I'll give it too them tomorrow and hopefully it should be sorted.

Again, thanks hx

·
I know nothing...
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just back from the garage - it turns out they have broken the speed sensor and some sort of cable - which is why the lights and stuff were going on.
I'm really angry though even though they admitted it was their fault and they broke it, they won't give me a courtesy car and I won't get my own car back until wed/thurs.

·
old B - new B
890 Posts
heather said:
Just back from the garage - it turns out they have broken the speed sensor and some sort of cable - which is why the lights and stuff were going on.
I'm really angry though even though they admitted it was their fault and they broke it, they won't give me a courtesy car and I won't get my own car back until wed/thurs.
thats a bugger......
always makes it tuff when your without a car but sounds like they were honest enough to admit that they had broken it , ( a lot of shops would proberly try and blame it on worn parts ).

working on cars myself i realise how easy it is sometimes for a part to get damaged when your working on it , (especialy when the car is getting a bit older) .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts