Ford Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
CEO - The BSR Group
4,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So where have they all gone? GTA-VC has an aftermarket mod to allow multiplayer but it's lifespan is pretty short, NFS Underground has online-only (and max of 4 players! Laughable), Ford Racing 2 is, would you believe, 2 FRIGGING PLAYER SPLIT SCREEN, ... I mean, where the hell has the traditional LAN game gone!??!? **** me!!!!!

Hell, if they could code up such great old games as NFS2 which had 8 player support in DOS, then why can't software houses do a BETTER job with NEWER AND IMPROVED tools and code!?!?!!? @#)(*#@)(*!!!!!

Ok I'm after something in the mould of good old Screamer / Screamer 2 - mindless arcade fun that you can load and play with some mates, without having to dick around with 1001 adjustments on the car. This rules out "Live For Speed" and the like, as frankly I can't be ****ed spending time finding the "ultimate 1337 combo". I just wanna play the damn game!

So, is there ANY driving games out recently that even offer LAN mode any more, and are they any good? Will I be forced to make a Win98 / DOS partition on my old slug PC to play my old favourites on, if there are no current games that fit the bill?

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Nascar (All versions)
Grand Prix Legends
F1GP
Colin McRae Rally (all versions)
Theres plenty around
Although most tend to be simulators instead of arcade type racing games

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Should also mention that Nascar has Net support as well, can host your own net server or join others

·
Just give me an excuse...
3,949 Posts
GP3,4 have it. colin mcrae rally does as well. There is a few others.

·
We Love Greb Murpy
3,022 Posts
OK I'm gunna be the first to scream Live For Speed!

·
CEO - The BSR Group
4,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ford.boy said:
OK I'm gunna be the first to scream Live For Speed!
Mr Sparkle said:
Ok I'm after something in the mould of good old Screamer / Screamer 2 - mindless arcade fun that you can load and play with some mates, without having to dick around with 1001 adjustments on the car. This rules out "Live For Speed" and the like, as frankly I can't be ****ed spending time finding the "ultimate 1337 combo". I just wanna play the damn game!
Try again!!!!!! :rofl: :rofl2: :HAHA:

One of the last really fun multiplayer driving games on PC that I had was 1nsane - I think I'll re-install that one... some great game modes, excellent graphics, and a top notch physics / collision engine! You could drive your car off a cliff a few times, and if you were good enough, literally turn it inside out! Excellent! :angel:

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
i wanna know where all the good coders have gone, i'm more annoyed at the fact that they're not even trying to make games effecient, there is no point making a game for the latest and greatest PC when most of the people don't have one and have to turn 90% of the effects off before it'll run fine.
LAN supports getting shit too, net code is going downhill!
I'm still a fan of Nascar online, but i don't like buying a new one every damn year! :/

·
Just give me an excuse...
3,949 Posts
EFFalcon said:
i wanna know where all the good coders have gone, i'm more annoyed at the fact that they're not even trying to make games effecient, there is no point making a game for the latest and greatest PC when most of the people don't have one and have to turn 90% of the effects off before it'll run fine.
LAN supports getting shit too, net code is going downhill!
I'm still a fan of Nascar online, but i don't like buying a new one every damn year! :/
i agree i have nfs hp2 and even on low graphics i get a low fps in some parts. Ok i only have an athlon 1ghz 512mb ram and 32mb v/c but jeez they could make them better to play. i remember at one stage i didn't have to upgrade my pc for ages as all games would play on it. now..forget it..espcially when doom 3 , half life 2 and all that comes out....

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
my pc is simlar spec to urs, 1ghz athlon, 512mb ram but i have a GF4 graphics card, and even with that there is HEAPS of games that need the details toned down before getting a decent frame rate.
i cbf upgrading :)

·
Falcon 2.. Ferrari 0 hehe
1,290 Posts
and ive only got a 700 duron :(
i can tolerate a lowish framerate, but still... make the game playable, streetrod stylez

·
Mulberry Rain
1,229 Posts
I've been complaining about slack coding for years. The best example was quake. When quake 1 came out, they admitted no computer on the market could play it in the highest resolution supported at the time. Pretty funny really.
MDK was an example of good coding. It ran 640 x 480 with 16bit colour on a pentium 90 fairy decently just by being smart with the graphics engine and it looked really good for its time!

Can't think of any good multiplay racing games tho :/

·
Night_Lurker said:
i agree i have nfs hp2 and even on low graphics i get a low fps in some parts. Ok i only have an athlon 1ghz 512mb ram and 32mb v/c but jeez they could make them better to play. i remember at one stage i didn't have to upgrade my pc for ages as all games would play on it. now..forget it..espcially when doom 3 , half life 2 and all that comes out....
I think i got a Half Life Voucher in my Radeon 9600XT pack, is it any good? I guess its not out yet hence the voucher and your comments

·
3FB's Peter Pan!!!
777 Posts
umm we have Rally Championship Extreme here at work and it has multiple player....is pretty good too...

·
Team Galaxy Try Hard
550 Posts
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 is alright multiplayer

is exactly what your after. No setting up required, just load and drive.

My biggest gripe with it is not enough tracks.

Oh, and you can race around in an AU3 TE50!!

·
Registered
847 Posts
NFS HP2 is far to easy for ppl to cheat in and when i was playing online you got your fair share of good respectful players and a few hacks that spoilt it for all, all the car physics details and options are in a plaint txt file and is easily mucked with, with such options as accell in air, power, weight, gravity options in plain easy view. NFS HP2 is no fun unless your playing with friends.

·
Now driving an XF Falcon.
1,042 Posts
EFFalcon said:
I've been saying this for YEARS now. Anybody else remember playing games on Amiga 500's? It seems that no programmers these days bother to optimise their code. Hell, years ago I used to do a fair bit of programming, and I used all the tricks I could to get things working as fast as possible, wrote in low level instead of high level languages, unrolled the loops (so instead of telling the computer to do something and repeat it until it had done it 10 times, I'd just write 'do this' 10 times in a row), as well as all the other tricks which I have since forgot.

But hell, who cares if it runs slowly on todays computers, if we just delay the release a few months it'll run perfectly on brand new computers, easier then actually producing streamlined code that we can be proud of...

Sorry, I'll get off my (ex-programmer) soapbox now...

·
Registered
494 Posts
Mate, the best ever game to be played multiplayer is quite simply...

GRAND THEFT AUTO

And i'm talking the original here, none of this PS2 crap. Nothing beats original GTA... NOTHING!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts