Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Saving for a BA XR6t
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I was hoping that someone could tell me roughly how much a Pedders 'Sports Suspension System' would cost, all up, for a 1994 EF Gli. Also, does anyone have any advice regarding this sorta kit being done?
eg. Effect on car, the people at Pedders etc

All help really appreciated, thanks, Simmo

PS. to all those who may wonder, i do not have an EF (or XG hehe) yet. sorry, but i AM still on L's.

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
laminge said:
Not sure of cost, but just a warning don't lower too much as rear camber is thrown outa whack as the springs sag!;)
How can camber be thrown out with a live axle :?: :confused:
(I now assume you were kidding... :CraZ: :p )

With springs, I swear by King Springs. Best quality. Good price. And the real low ones don't fall out like other brands.

·
gone
10,402 Posts
I wish I was

This is what some guy at pedders in the City tried to explain to me, mind you i played real dump with the guy.

I personally would go for the Kings springs as I ended up with them in the EB and had no drama for 4 years:wink2:

·
7,777 Posts
laminge said:
I wish I was
This is what some guy at pedders in the City tried to explain to me, mind you i played real dump with the guy.
Makes me wonder why I spent all that money bending the diff in my VL to get camber for the circuit stuff :( :damack:

·
CEO - The BSR Group
4,400 Posts
*raises hand*

Kings over here too! I'm REALLY enjoying the change with the new gear (Kings 'n Konis). Worth every cent imho. :thumbup:

·
Bring Back the 24hr!!!
5,809 Posts
el2xr8 said:
*raises hand*

Kings over here too! I'm REALLY enjoying the change with the new gear (Kings 'n Konis). Worth every cent imho. :thumbup:
Yeah, he drove his car so Hard that his clutch is now on the way out ;) :D :rolleyes:

·
CEO - The BSR Group
4,400 Posts
*looks around the room innocently*

Who, me? :eek: :wink2: :thumbup:

As my grandfather said when he first saw my XR8, "... well, it's not just there to look at!" and promptly asked for me to take him for a quick fang in it :cool: :damack:

·
Bring Back the 24hr!!!
5,809 Posts
Gotta love that, my grandfather (RIP) said...
"You have a car and sure you can drive it like they do on the mountain, but they wreck a car within 1000K's, and you will do the same if you try and drive like them, so sure you have a car now, but if you try drive like them you won't have one for long"

And he was dead right, god bless him.

·
Nacho Nacho Man!
3,514 Posts
I wouldn't buy Pedders stuff, nor do I trust their judgement either. Those 'safety inspections' are a 'things you should get us to do, even if it doesn't really need it' checklist to con you into forking over money.

Lots of Kings springs fans, but I swear by Lovells. I've heard these are made in the same factory as Kings, except are painted blue instead of red. Not sure if this is true however. What is true is that they are cheaper than Kings, but have a comparable performance. Same goes with Konis, try something like KYBs. A Kings/Koni setup sounds good, but a KYB/Lovells setup will do you just as good, as save you some money. Don't go superlow either, I did and it scrapped on everything.

Find a local suspension place with a guy who you can trust. Also highly recommend you fit the castor kit as well.

·
EB Fairmont Owner
191 Posts
I got the full Pedders Sportsryder kit (Springs, shocks, front camber kit and fitment for $1k) on the EB

Pedders wanted $1400 to do the same job and I promptly laughed and told them where to go. I went with a local mob who did a great job fitting the kit.

But lets just say that they have transformed the car! The car handles like its on rails - hardly any body roll.

The way my car was set was to have the springs lowered 55mm on all 4 corners of the car. The front wheels were cambered negatively a few degrees to allow for turning and minimal scraping (Yes it is pretty low) - this also gives the car an aggressive stance and stable cornering at higher speeds than before.

Couldn't be happier with them! :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,542 Posts
SIM EF6,

Yeah me got an EF and i recently done the suspension on my car. Trust me the pedders sports rider shock's are pretty good hangs on excellent without compromising ride.

My advise get the parts and get someone else to fit it, there abit general and in my opinion don't go that extra mile to fit things properly.
Oh yeah if you want your car lower the sports rider shocks by it self drops the car an 1inch. (mounting of the shock is lower than standard) then you can go from there.

On the subject of Springs, yeap i'm a king spring fan my self, top stuff. I got king springs on the front.

·
7,777 Posts
Sorry guys. But if you want to talk shocks at road car level, there is no substitute for Bilsteins. Their ability to be valved for different piston speeds and also add to spring effect makes them awesome compared to some of the other stuff. The hard part is finding someone who knows how to set up the valving.

For everyday stuff, nothing wrong with Pedders, Lovells (like 'em too). However, if you want best it has to be King/Bilstein.

Then again, given how good the reviews are on XR suspension why change at all. Only change might be ride height.

·
7,777 Posts
I know a cheaper way of getting the kits fitted :wink2:

Rear end should take 40 mins taking it easy. Front end no more than 2 hours including springs bars and shocks. Then all you're up for is a wheel alignment.
You don't need special tools for the rear. On some cars you will need spring compressors for the SLALS but I find a long steel bar and a quick pair of heels works just fine... :p ;) :D

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,542 Posts
Well all i need to do is fit new shocks on the back, i'll leave my ute springs for the moment.
Pete,
So you reckon just jack the car up, undo the rear shock bolts and replace it??? Hmm me might try.

·
7,777 Posts
EF_Falcon_GuY said:
Well all i need to do is fit new shocks on the back, i'll leave my ute springs for the moment.
Pete,
So you reckon just jack the car up, undo the rear shock bolts and replace it??? Hmm me might try.
Being a wagon it should be even easier! If you haven't got the shocks changed in half an hour you be doing it all wrong man. On coil spring cars the shocks control the droop travel so it is often a case of supporting the axle at just the right height to take load off the shock bolts - this makes it easier. Leaf springs and Monroe shocks mean you should have no trouble changing shocks on ramps.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
9 Participants
Aussie Pete
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing