Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
{';'}
4,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm taking my car in for a service on Friday and am supplying my own oil as I want to use something decent. I've heard quite a few positive comments about Pennzoil.

Anyone use it in their E-series (pref. EBII-ED)? What viscosity(?) is best and all that other jargon?!

Cheers.

·
cArSiK
1,249 Posts
^^^^^ what NZ said.

I use HPR30 , great oil.

james

·
Registered
847 Posts
I used penrite hpr 30 and removed it after 2700 k's, it was crap, real bad on my lifters. ticked like a super bitch. I went back to mobil 1 (with sythinol or whatever toss wank that is), and slowly my lifters are retuening to normal. Next i shall be trying shell helix synthetic as its like 20 bucks cheaper and is supposedly better.

pls ignore my bad ass spelling.
6pAc.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I used to run Pennzoil in my car and had no complaints. These days I use Castrol GTX2 for a few reasons. 1. The engine seems to like it. 2. You can buy it almost anywhere and 3. It's pretty cheap compared to other oils.

Ash

·
"Steve has a car?"
2,207 Posts
I used to use shell helix, now I use shell helix plus. Never had a problem with either of them, so I stick to what works for my car.

·
{';'}
4,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Damn. So many options and opinions! What to do what to do? I need to buy it by Friday... Bah!

·
E-Series Cameraman
1,388 Posts
I'm using Castrol FMX, its 10W-30 semi synthetic. I use that because it get it free from work, but its a good oil, no ticking and the engine seems to like it.

Alex

·
Ride like the Wind
631 Posts
I am using Penrite HPR15 atm, no complaints, hasn't used any in the last 5000kms (which is the first I have used it), I think however that I will switch to Shell Helix Plus as it is a bit cheaper but pretty much the same stuff

·
YES its a 5 Speed!!
2,242 Posts
Penzoil GT Perf....... good sh*t!!

·
Phat Drift Damage Victim
985 Posts
I myself use Penrite HPR30 aswell, I've found it to be a good oil so far, lasts ok and I don't get much lifter noise, well at least not until I did the head. Before that I was using Shell Helix Plus, it was alright but I always had slight lifter noise. I would try and stay away from Castrol, especially that magnatec stuff, I've never used it in my car but everyone at my work agrees that it is utter crap, it doesnt last long at all and we get lifter noise in some models. Always remember you get what you pay for aswell, I'm not saying the most expensive ones are better for your motor but stuff thats half the price, or at least significantly cheaper than one brand doesnt mean it's just as good or better

·
cArSiK
1,249 Posts
funny that , with HPR30 i dont get lifter noise i did however with helix.....depends on the motor i guess...

James

E

·
0 Posts
Penrite HPR30 here too. I get the 1 second of lifter noise on initial start-up, then none at all.. The head has just been done though.

·
Registered
847 Posts
When it first went in I was very impressed but it took 3 days to develop real bad noise, then it sort of left for about 1000k and came back with a vengence.

·
PAST EA TYCOON
292 Posts
By reading the thread the notion i got was the different engines like different oils, has anyone had a problem with the penrite one?

My car doesnt like Magnetec, or GTX2 and its not particulary fond of Valvoline.. But Castrol GTX, and Helix work without any lifter noise, i have looked at getting the Penrite stuff, but as Kenaz said, the Castrol Stuff is available everywhere and is usually cheaper.

·
{';'}
4,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
EvilEA said:
By reading the thread the notion i got was the different engines like different oils, has anyone had a problem with the penrite one?
Yes mate, I noticed the same which is why I am in a difficult situation!! Why can't there just be one oil that is perfect for EBII-ED?! Something so simple! Grrrrrrrrr...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts