1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
gone
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Mrs Reported this to me yesterday, was wondering if you havd experienced it

1) The petrol guage showing emplty tank, and warning light on after refueling
NB A whack by Laminges Fist of Fury on the dash fixed that

2) Starting issues, engine turns over but no ignition, have to move t bar from Park to drive several times and it starts, havent tried the fist of fury on that yet

·
Rip Up The Track Join OFR
6,021 Posts
laminge said:
The Mrs Reported this to me yesterday, was wondering if you havd experienced it

1) The petrol guage showing emplty tank, and warning light on after refueling
NB A whack by Laminges Fist of Fury on the dash fixed that

2) Starting issues, engine turns over but no ignition, have to move t bar from Park to drive several times and it starts, havent tried the fist of fury on that yet
I had a Focus for 3 weeks from my Ford dealer while I was waiting for my XR8 when I would fill the car it would take a long time before it registered on the gauge and mileage computer, turned the engine off and on 3 times before gauge came up and registered the correct amount of fuel.
The T bar if needs to moved up and down before the car fires up could be the sender switch that tells the cars computer the car is in park, if the switch isn’t engaging properly the car doesn’t know its in park so it wont start..
Looks like a trip to your Ford dealer…..

·
Corner Hugger
1,487 Posts
1 - Never had a problem with the fuel guage, definitely sounds like a Ford dealer trip to me, but if it only happens just once then i guess just wait and see.

2 - My manual Zetec 2.0 has issues ticking over, quite often it cranks 10 times before actually firing. I have heard it may be due to the immobiliser code in the key not getting through well enough. The remote on the Focus is shithouse to put it bluntly. Dodgy range. I've heard you can hold the key in the ACCESSORIES position (I) for about a second so it can register, then turn it again to start. As for the T-bar, if it's turning over, then it's probably not going to be a Park issue as my old Mondeo 2.0 Auto wouldn't even turn over if it wasn't in the right spot from memory, let alone have ignition. But get it checked again. Sorry I can't be more helpful mate.

·
2,922 Posts
Fuel gauge issues like that are common place with the likes of ageing VN Commodores, haven't experienced that with my Focus yet, but wouldn't be too happy if it was happening so early on. It's a worry.

What Matt said about the T-Bar is correct, if it was just the sender from the gearbox, it would not kick over at all. It could be an immobilisor problem...

Let us know how you go, or if we need to book appointments with the Laminge Fist of Fury!

Cheers...... Tim!

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
You can start the car in Neutral normally, any more luck with in netrual as opposed to park, if it it wont start in park or neutral, then maybe something is mis aligned and its just a simple fix.

Laminge - that avatar is mesmorising :AAHHH:

Jason

·
2,922 Posts
But if you notice, the gearbox start inhibitor will not allow the engine to kick over at all, if the gear selector sensor is the problem. In this case, the engine is kicking over, but not starting, according to Laminge's post.

Tim

·
gone
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
:edit: Well

What do you know the starting was the Recall Issue that Zan raised in a previous post

The petrol Tanking is the Float and sending unit, apparentl a common fault guys, they are going to have to drop the tank out and fix it next week

Ive got a full tank atm....

Also took some pics with my Clie, will post em tonight

Cheers

Damm spoke to soon, it still wont start properly... bugga... might try spare key and see if thats the issue

·
goooone
2,708 Posts
The Focus looks great could just use some bigger wheels now also if it makes you feel better the VYs at work all got recall notices for there fuel guages today.

·
Focus user
287 Posts
looks pretty good. wouldn't be my choice of bodykits. but its original...and each to their own opinion. would be good to see the whole car in a pic though...to see the whole kit together....might change my opinion.

·
2,922 Posts
I like the rear wing, as far as actually coming out form the car and having something of end plates, gets about half way there.

It's individual, for sure! Hard to tell the overall effect, as Kymera said.

Cheers for the pics! Tim

·
Corner Hugger
1,487 Posts
yeah not sure the body kit is getting much good reception here he he it is definitely original, just not to my taste. I am more of a subtle kinda person, the stock kit looks great IMO. Plus the Zetec rims look pretty dodgy on anything bu a stock car... they look kinda OK on Kymer'a lowered tinted kitted car but on anything else other than a stock Zetec with no kit they look small. Still a nice design, just a shame Ford didn't do them in 17 inches instead!!! They'd look wicked. But great pics otherwise. Just a question, is it Machine Silver or that faint green? I honestly can't say, it looks silver to me but Tim reckons you had a greenie. What is it?!!!

·
2,922 Posts
Just to clarify, I thought the car might be the very light Vitro colour, but I can't tell from the pictures either! the two colors are pretty close in such light.

From my understanding, you were looking at an LX with some options. We know from this thread that it is an auto, any other options?

Tim!

·
Corner Hugger
1,487 Posts
looks like a CL to me too on the door there, I may be wrong. Interesting how you scored Zetec rims too...

And I'm actually bending towards it being Vitro because it looks like a dull kinda day (very Melbourne that) and on a dull day the Navy Blue, Black and Magenta colours contained in the Machine Silver really make it look almost a purple-grey colour. It's too pale on a dull day to be Machine Silver. But I may be wrong. Just out of interest, the Machine Silver (saw the touch up being made) contains Silver, a little black, Navy blue, Gold, Magenta... fantastic colour.

·
Focus user
287 Posts
gonna go with machine silver.

·
Corner Hugger
1,487 Posts
Well well well...

Technical Service Bulletin - Ford Focus (number 36R/03)
Issue Date - 3 December 2003

Innaccurate Fuel Gauge (!!!!!!)

Should a customer express concern about inaccurate readings from the fuel gauge and/or fuel computer (including fuel gauge dropping suddenly to zero when the tank is full) (or not responding to the Laminge Fist of Fury TM!!!!) or the distance to empty figure suddenly reducing, the probable cause is inconsistent contact or open circuit in the fuel pump module. Installing a revised card assembly should rectify this concern.

Them's the official words from the latest Ford Focus TSB... found out today. Not that the timing's good, but anyone having issues, now you know!!!!

Cheers,
Matt

·
gone
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey Guys

The car is a CL

It was demo model so I did not add anything to it, it came like that.

I havent seen other kits like that before, and personally on a small car it looks great

It is silver and the herrod exhaust is going on next week

·
Focus user
287 Posts
Distance to empty??? i didn't know any of the models had a trip computer.

·
Corner Hugger
1,487 Posts
Only the Ghia has a trip computer... I should know... I sold my first car today at Power Ford... it was a Focus Ghia!!!!!!!!! Yee Haaaa!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts