Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think we are heading for trouble with this concept. In autoaction yesterday Seton was quoted as saying that from now on they will be pitting on the first lap allowed. Problem is that everyone will do the same thing and the pit area won't be able to handle it. The race will then be decided by who avoids a crash in the pits.
There would not have been a problem at Eastern Creek if the pace car had not been used. I think local yellows could have worked or they change the rules to allow pit stops under these conditions. I think the later needs careful consideration other wise the pit stop will become a huge joke.

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
Especially at some of the goat farms they use as racetracks for this series......

Imagine the GMC400 as an example of the congestion - disaster!

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes that is right but at least there is enough laps to make them consider other options. Change your tyre too early in those events and by the end of it your mates will be walking past.

I just can't get over how much more enjoyable the Adelaide and GMC races are. What makes them so?
Part is that the aero package does not get a chance to work as well. Food for thought Avesco

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
Didn't Murphy win last year after pitting right on the first allowable lap at the GMC? I think that was the case....
Either way, the idea is to get one of the stops done asap on the longer events.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah he could have I don't know. I do know seton has done it twice both times in Adelaide and paid the price.
Murphys a better driver though and can look after his tyres better;)

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
Aussie Pete said:
Imagine the GMC400 as an example of the congestion - disaster!
The facilities they have for the GMC are scary.. The pits are a disaster waiting to happen. Marquee tents on an existing carpark!!. I'm surprised the teams accept such a nonsence. The track itself is too narrow, (7m in some points!!) they should open up both sides of the road for easier passing and better viewing for the track goer... (ME!!... :wink2: )

·
Australian ED XR6 Member
569 Posts
The biggest problem with the series (IMHO) is that the "longer" races are merely sprint races with a pitstop thrown into the mix. What makes Canberra & Adelaide events so popular / watchable, just like Bathurst is that they are endurance races. not just sprints.
One idea that may work is a sprint race & a longer race at each venue.

·
Future XR Owner
2,245 Posts
I reckon get rid of these bloody pit stops or increase the laps for these so called sprint rounds!:fmad: There is no need for them (in the current setup), they were brought in to make for more exciting racing, just like that stupid reverse grid. If they went back to the 3 sprint format, it wouldn't worry me.

·
Banned
5,809 Posts
Yeah well with all this idle time that I've got at the moment I've got wayy too much time to think about too few things. I think my insanity is growing worse :eek: (if thats possible ;) )

·
Banned
5,809 Posts
Damn and here was me planning to do work today instead of posting on these boards all day.
Ah well I've been told to keep practising my insanity that's waht i'll do :CraZ:

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Ok back on topic now. I seem to remember someone saying that even the so-called enduros are like sprint racers these days. I reckon that having pitstops in anything less than a 300km race is crazy simply for the saftey risk, the Clipsal being a good point. besides the cars can last 1000km at full race pace so if pitstops were banned in the shorter races we would see more thought out raceing rather then this multimillon dollar demo derby we have now. Or at the very least pull some aero off the cars.

·
Banned
5,809 Posts
Yeah but Cochrane decided that pitstops (no matter how crazy) would add to the entertainment value, are therse guys raciers first or what? :fmad:
The longer style races are good, but pitstops runi it a bit.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
FTEfan said:
Ok back on topic now. I seem to remember someone saying that even the so-called enduros are like sprint racers these days. I reckon that having pitstops in anything less than a 300km race is crazy simply for the saftey risk, the Clipsal being a good point. besides the cars can last 1000km at full race pace so if pitstops were banned in the shorter races we would see more thought out raceing rather then this multimillon dollar demo derby we have now. Or at the very least pull some aero off the cars.
I agree with everything you said there. Como guys For the guys actually paying for the net can we actually keep just a small portion of the threads on track:thumbdown

I also agree with Jem lenghten all sprint races is an excellent idea!! The pits stops are a good idea but not in races that are this short.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts