I've called Ford tech line and yes, it's covered no matter what the status of the car is (read: even if it's not an active police car) as long as it's within 7 years of the start of the warranty period, it's covered if it cracks.
Ford to extend 4.6L intake recall
Published: 25 May 2001
By: Robert Lane
"In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. " - Martin Luther King Jr.
Ford Motor Company will extend the recall (01M02) on 4.6L V8 equipped vehicles with plastic intake manifolds. Some of the composite intake manifolds used on 4.6L SOHC engines may develop fatigue cracks at the coolant crossover duct. This condition could result in engine coolant leakage which, if not serviced, may cause engine overheating. Complete loss of coolant may result in engine damage or engine failure.
The updated recall now includes:
• Certain 1996 through 2001 Model Year Crown Victoria Police Interceptor
• Certain 1998 through 2001 Model Year Crown Victoria with Taxi
• Certain 1998 through 2001 Lincoln Town Car Limousine and Livery Prep Package
• Certain 1996-2001 Crown Victoria Taxis, Police cars and Lincoln Town Car Limousine and Livery cars.
• Certain 1996 through 1997 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor Vehicles with 4.6L SOHC engines built at the St. Thomas Assembly Plant from the beginning of production for the 1996 Model Year through January 28, 1997.
• Certain 1998 through 2001 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor Vehicles with 4.6L SOHC engines built at the St. Thomas Assembly Plant from November 22, 1997 through December 15, 2000.
• Certain 1998 through 2001 Crown Victoria Taxi Vehicles with 4.6L SOHC engines built at the St. Thomas Assembly Plant from November 22, 1997 through December 15, 2000.
• Certain 1998 through 2001 Lincoln Town Car Limousine Prep Package and Livery Vehicles with 4.6L SOHC engines built at the Wixom Assembly Plant from November 22, 1997 through December 15, 2000.
If an intake manifold coolant leak is detected, the dealer will replace the intake manifold. Owners of the affected cars are being notified that additional coverage for this specific condition is being provided. The coverage will be for 7 years from the warranty start date of the vehicle (no mileage limitation). This additional coverage is automatically transferred to subsequent owners.
Claims Information: 1-800-423-8851
TDD for the Hearing Impaired: 1-800-232-5952
Ford Customer Service: 1-800-392-3673
Other (Dealer Only) Recall Questions: 1-800-325-5621
P.O. Box 1904
Dearborn, Michigan 48121
8am - 11pm Monday through Friday and
9am - 6pm Saturday (Eastern Time) Source: Ford Motor Company documents