Ford Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Am currently having a great deal of headache from my 2000 Ford Focus. I moved to Switzerland from the USA 6 months ago and brought the car along with me.

About one month ago when my wife started the car, it would not idle - meaning without gas it would stall right away. The ford mechanics here changed two parts (soupape de ralenti and senseur d'air - exaust recirculation sensor and O2 valve as far as I understood with my limited french). The car then ran for about 50 miles without problems, but then the following problem surfaced:

The check engine light comes on and the car idles very roughly. After two more trips back to the garage in the last week, the computer diagnosis is always FUEL MIXTURE TOO POOR. The first visit the garage reset the onboard computer, yet the problem resurfaced after about 10 miles driving. They then replaced the O2 sensor, yet after 10 miles or so the same issue. The troubling issue is that they told me this morning they don't know what the problem is, and their only solution is to change piece by piece until it runs without problem again. Maybe this would normally be acceptable, but car service in Switzerland is VERY expensive! So the question is, has anyone experienced a similar problem with this model? Any advise at all would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks!
Kai

·
2,922 Posts
I haven't had an experience with any problems like this at all... the mind boggles as to what could be the problem.

There is a very very big Focus club in Switzerland, try www.focusfanatics.com, where a few of them post. Some might be able to give you a hand!

Sorry we couldn't be of more help!

Tim!

·
Corner Hugger
1,487 Posts
"soupape de ralenti" sounds like "brake boost valve" to me as soupape = valve in french and ralentir is the french verb for "to slow down". Living in Brussels seems to have paid off after all!!! I recently had the brake boost valve replaced mysef to try and fix an idling problem and general rich-running issues as opposed to your running-poor issue. Didn't do a thing. I'm still yet to learn what's wrong and also what the hell the brake boost valve has to do with it. Seems the fuel mixture is controlled somehow by the brake boost valve. I am getting alittle worried though coz nobody here in Oz seems to know a damn thing. How hard can it be?!!! I know I know.. probably very hard. But you sell the car, you should be prepared to train your staff well enough or at least work the issue out and put out a TSB. Fuel issues in Foci are WELL documented, and not just recently. Globally too, US and Euro models.

You would have done better (and cheaper) to buy a Focus in Switzerland. You could have bought an RS mate. The US 2000 model is not only the worst model Focus in the world to own (based on recalls anyway), but couldn't be a good choice for taking all the way over there with you when a 1998 Euro Focus would still be better and healthier!!! Anyhoo, hope this helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts