Ford Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband owns a 98 Ranger V6, and is now sitting on the side of the hwy waiting for AAA...his truck lost oil pressure and is now bone dry. He said he looked under the truck and said that it looks like something blew. Any advise on what caused this, etc???

·
93 2.3 MTX BOLTED OUT!
626 Posts
o boy lost oil; pressure wounds like the motor is done for. without oil and at that an oil pressure loss all the friction caused by the engine parts went completly unlubricated for x amount of time. I can tell you this anything more than just seconds without oil will shred the engine and destroy it easily puting the equivlent of thousands of miles in just seconds.
if he shut it off soon enuf he might be able to get away with a half decent runing engine. anything more and its probably gone.

as for what blew its hard to say, has he turned it into a hi performance machine?
other than cracking the block or oil pan its gona be hard to imagine the rest.
like throwing a rod or depressing the crank. Really this is one hes gona have to inspect, sorry?

·
Administrator
5,153 Posts
Has it recently had an oil and filter change.

It could be as simple as someone not tightning the drain plug on the oil pan and I have also seen where an oil filter has been changed and the old seal mistakingly left on the block which when coupled with the new seal will last for a while and then suddenly open up and squirt oil everywhere.

There are alot of things that could cause the oil loss though.

I hope the engine was shut down in time before expensive damage was done if it is only an oil leak.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts