Ford Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone if anyone can plz help me I've been stuck replacing the connecting rod bearings for 2 weeks now... So a little back story in a little info this is the 1st time I have ever done connecting rod bearings in my life and nobody had told me to mark each connecting rod cap before removing it. So I completely took the bottom part of my motor apart oil Pan oil pick up the windish tray And it started to remove the connecting rod Without marking them I did so found that the very 1st connecting rod bearing had been pushed up on top of the other half of the bearing Long story short no one told me I need Ed to mark the connecting rod However they are factory marked I cannot seem to find any information regarding the exact order or location that these Go the Are marked [ A, B. B, B, C, C ] Each connecting rodcap also has a set of dots however I do not know how to decipher those dots. There is one with 3 on one side and one dot on the other then another with 4 dots on one side and none on the other.... The connecting raj with the letter B punched into them have a corresponding line whether it is a diagonal up diagonal down or straight across howevery decrossed however when I looked on to the connecting rods in the motor note the motor is still in the car and I did not remove the crank shaft I have not been able to find yet but one of the connecting rods with any corresponding mark on it But it did not have any letter on it either The connecting raj with the letter B punched into them have a corresponding line whether it is a diagonal up diagonal down or straight across howevery decrossed however when I looked on to the connecting rods in the motor note the motor is still in the car and I did not remove the crank shaft I have not been able to find yet but one of the connecting rods with any corresponding mark on it But it did not have any letter on it either And I was also informed later after I had done this big mistake that I should have marked them because they are machined as a whole and then split in half can anybody please help me point me in the direction I need so I can get my car back together... anyone plz I do t have the money to take it to a shop were they would most likely tell me to buy a new motor or charg out the ass to fix mine anything at all is extremely appreciated
THANKS IN ADVANCE

·
Super Moderator
9,616 Posts
First, when new, all the connecting rods should have been the same. The reason you match them back up is for wear and balancing. If you have a scale that will go to a tenth of a gram, mix and match caps, bolts and rods until you get a combo that nearly weighs the same. Odds are, they all weigh the same. For best results, include pistons, wrist pins, and c-clips. Once it's back together, take it easy for a couple hundred miles in case you don't have the original combo.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice only problem is I don't have the money to replace anymore gaskets and the community I live in frowns apon anyone who works on there vehicles sadly so pulling the motor or anything else off is extremely not likely... thanks tho.. I did however read somewhere that basically I will need to try cap for cap place them on and toqure them down and check for any gaps and repeat untell they are all correct.. another question.. so my car has a 2 peice block if I were to remove the bottom half and crank will I have to replace crank bearings or could I reuse the old ones? And would "right stuff gasket maker" be sufficient enough as a new gasket to avoid that cost

·
Super Moderator
22,544 Posts
No disrespect , but reading your posts , this job is way , way out of your ability / knowledge , and you are digging a bigger hole for yourself daily . You cannot skimp and safe on a job like this , it must be done right or left alone . You have to check and examine for damage , measure wear on all bearings and shaft . Also find reason why bearing spun in the first place . I would be very surprised if shaft was not needing removed , checked and journals cut , reground . And that is the very , very minimal that needs to be done . Not to mention checking / measuring main bearings and thrust bearings for wear .Best of luck in finding the best solution in fixing .

·
Registered
22 Posts
Your apartment complex doesn't like Wrenching, I had a buddy years ago, he lived in a very high class neighborhood, he rented a stall at the local U-Storage Place, for $40 month, that was his garage. Just carried a generator, and portable lights over there.
With stacked bearings, you're going to need to pull the engine, Get the crank out and have it turned.
Hope the rods aren't scored too. So many GT's have rods exit the block, I have two that did...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts