Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

OK, there are too many options, and I don't know which way to go.

My Black GTP is 6 months old, and it's probably time to give it a polish.

Of course, I'm only going to use Meguiars products, but which ones?

Do I use:

1. Scratch X then Gold Class Wax; or

2. Paint Cleaner then Wetlook Polymer Sealant; or

3. Paint Cleaner then Cleaner Wax Paste; or

4. Paint Cleaner then Deep Crystal Polish then Deep Crystal Wax: or

5. The new Colour Boost Car Wax?

Thanks in advance for your advice / experiences / help!

·
More horsepower required
612 Posts
Wash first , then paint cleaner , polish , then wax
On the wax thing , I used to use Maguirs gold class ( liquid ) but now use Mothers.
Its a paste and a bit more effort is required , but the finish kills Maguirs hands down.

Every 6 months , I use paint cleaner to strip the wax , and go through the same process again

·
Registered
128 Posts
If I was using Meguiars, *I* would:
Wash
clay
scratch X
paint cleaner
wet look polymer ( optional )
gold class wax

The protection from the polymer is much better than the wax, so use the polymer ( I'd put 2 or 3 layers on it ) for a protective layer, and then a coat of wax to beautify it.

But then again I wouldnt use exclusively Meguiars stuff.....

·
BOFH
7,560 Posts
TIKFD6 said:
I would recomend for your paint, which has clear coat, in this order.
1. Gold Class Wash,
2. Gold Class Paint cleaner/Swirl remover,
3. Gold Class wax.

Agreed. No need to go overboard with 6 different products!

Besides, your car is black like mine. The moment you leave your driveway it will rain anyhow:p
(Happened to me today. No rain for weeks, drive out of the driveway after it not moving since Sunday and it pours down before I get out of the street!) :fraz:

·
Experimental Racer#6
8,192 Posts
Timothy said:
Hi everyone!

Do I use:

There is no need to use clay on a brand new car.
Maybe once every 12-18 months, but its there to get major surface contaminants off, not for every time you polish the car.
Which for me is 1/4erly.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I would recomend for your paint, which has clear coat, in this order.
1. Gold Class Wash,
2. Gold Class Paint cleaner/Swirl remover,
3. Gold Class wax.
Gold class paint cleaner will not remove swirls. It is a chemical paint cleaner designed to remove wax and oils to prepare the paint for a fresh layer of polymer or wax. To remove swirls you must use an abrasive polish to abrade them out. Thus Scratch X or something simialr.

There is no need to use clay on a brand new car.
Maybe once every 12-18 months, but its there to get major surface contaminants off, not for every time you polish the car.
Which for me is 1/4erly.
Why not clay a new car? It wont hurt the paint work and will provide a super smooth base by removing any "bits" so you can start protecting spotless, perfect paint surface. No point applying a polymer or wax over crud....I am not saying clay it all the time, but at least yearly.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I wont bother anymore, seems I am never right.....although I have been detailing cars for 2 years.
Cheers.

·
goooone
2,708 Posts
I'd use option 4 on a black car. I wouldn't use scratch-X or similar on a new car until it actually has scratches &/or swirls.

PS Don't forget to use good polishing clothes etc to help prevent swirls from happening in the first place.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'd use option 4 on a black car. I wouldn't use scratch-X or similar on a new car until it actually has scratches &/or swirls. PS Don't forget to use good polishing clothes etc to help prevent swirls from happening in the first place.
Unfortunately, if you look at black the wrong way it swirls, and if you look closely at any new car, chances are it was already swirled by the "dealer prep" ( especially darker colours - more noticable ). And option 4 has an abrasive polish much like scratch X....
But I do agree with the good cloths comment, although most people baulk at the price of good quality microfibers. But I would highly recommend microfibers above anything.

I just read what it said on the bottle.
Yeah fair enough, Im all calmed down now. I tend to forget that most people aren't quite as anal as me when it comes to detailing. But I will say that they would have to be VERY minor swirls for the Meg's paint cleaner to do anything about them. I would say that in most cases, something a little more "effective" will be required.
And yes if you want perfect paint, get a custom job! But I think you'd be suprised how good you can get the standard paint. I can get my black to reflect like a mirror! I will take a shot after my next big detail ( prolly this weekend depending on time.... )

·
Experimental Racer#6
8,192 Posts
I have no doubt anyone can get a good result from Factory paint, with the right amount of work, and the right product.

And there is no need to apologise, just try not to get to emotional with your replies.
After all we ar all friends here.

I have used the Gold Class Swirl REDUCER, on a few cars and it does do a pretty good job if you keep on top of it.

I dont use Gold class on my car at all anymore, i use Colour Boost(Ten year old red paint), and for non clear coat paints i think it is the best thing since sliced bread, ask anyone who has seen my car lately.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
TIKFD6 said:
I have no doubt anyone can get a good result from Factory paint, with the right amount of work, and the right product.

And there is no need to apologise, just try not to get to emotional with your replies.
After all we ar all friends here.

I have used the Gold Class Swirl REDUCER, on a few cars and it does do a pretty good job if you keep on top of it.

I dont use Gold class on my car at all anymore, i use Colour Boost(Ten year old red paint), and for non clear coat paints i think it is the best thing since sliced bread, ask anyone who has seen my car lately.
So do you think that the Colour Boost Wax would be better for my Black GTP rather than the Gold Class Wax?

·
Experimental Racer#6
8,192 Posts
It may be mate, it depends if it has a clearcoat.
But on my red paint, after i use the paint cleaner, i use the colour boost, which is a cleaner/polish/wax in one, and then i coat it with yelow wax.
It comes up shining like a new penny.
:p
And i make sure i use the Colour boost washnwax aswell, just keeps the wax better for longer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What type of Yellow wax do you use?

Also, I agree:

The Colour Boost Wash & Wax is the ABSOLUTE BEST car wash liquid I have ever used. It's so easy to dry off the car and the result is unbelievable.

If you haven't yet used it, get some and give it a go this weekend.

·
Rip Up The Track Join OFR
6,021 Posts
Timothy said:
Hi everyone!

Do I use:

go to the Meguiars website it tells you what do .. i did told me to use scratch x then use gold class wax but got some more advice here i am going to use wet look polymer in between ..

·
BSR Twin System (tm)
4,751 Posts
Eighteen replies and no Strider.......

He must be slipping!

:AAHHH:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Just a quick guide to check if you need to clay your paintwork or not ( sorry I forgot to add it earlier )
Get a small plastic bag ( like a sandwich or freezer bag ) and put your hand in it. Run your fingers lightly over the paintwork. If it feels rough or gritty, then you definitley need to clay. Claying is pretty "idiot proof" but you can mess it up if you dont do it right. The instructions you get are usually good so I'd recommend following them. A "cheap" but just as effective lubricant for claying is a cap of car wash and water in a spray bottle. Be quite liberal with the lube and you will have no problems!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts