Ford Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1985 Ford F-150 v8 5.0L, and I’ve had it for about 8 months. I’ve had a few problems with oil leaks coming from the rear main seal and my valve covers, so I’m prone to check my dipstick every few weeks. In the past few weeks I’ve noticed that my oil is a orange/brown color and has the consistency of mud. I’m worried it is a blown head gasket, but I’m not losing any power at all, and the truck runs fine. Any advice on what to do from here?
1075DB7E-AADC-423D-A745-F18A66BF2E17.jpeg
6B5FECAA-6A6E-4DCD-8CA4-0F4F84E85FAA.jpeg
680031F1-D8E8-4914-BCDE-1C9631318DB3.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
887 Posts
How often and for how long does it get driven? Have you checked the compression?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
19,789 Posts
Going by what you say and the pictures of the oil , it may well be cyl. head gasket . What you can check is the engine is breathing o.k .If not it will build up pressure in crankcase and can be a cause of oil leaks and other symptoms .I dont know the set up on that vehicle , whether it has a PCV valve and hose or just vented through the engine oil filler cap but check out and make sure what ever it is clear and not restricting in any way . You may get some emulsification of engine oil dependant on usage but from you description it may be more than that . If not that , carry out a block test which should verify head gasket or not . You should consider an oil and filter change if you are continuing to use it as coolant in oil can in some case cause engine to hydraulic with fateful results .

·
Administrator
8,197 Posts
I would start by checking or changing the PCV valve. Its only a few bucks and may very well be your problem. One of the functions of a PCV valve is to remove moisture from your engine, and you know what happens when you mix oil and water? Gunk! I would start there, change the oil and drive it for a few days and see what happens. Here's a article for you to read PCV Valve - How Does It Work - Failure Signs - Ways To Test The System

By the way, Very nice truck! You don't see many of those nowadays.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts