Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
EFII Ghia owner
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all, i was wondering if its possible to get good power gains out of a free flowing exhaust whilst keeping it as quite as factory, I'm asking this, because id love the extra power from a free flowing exaust but ill probably find the noise from the exhaust to get anoying on long trips whilst just cruising, Which i do quite often

·
CK 302
160 Posts
Yes you can have both. My AU2 XR8 just had a full Herrods ms 3" sytem and Unichip done, 20 kw atw gain, a much smoother and free reving motor. best of all on the highway I can barely hear the zorst, only when sticking the boot in, would anyone even turn a head. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
695 Posts
to achieve this you will need big volume + heavily packed + free flow mufflers.

·
Birth, Drift, Death...
3,039 Posts
i have two 2.5" straight though mufflers on my EB, with extractors and 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust. one is straight in straight out, the other is offset (the pipe goes in on the top right and comes out at the bottom left, for example, but in a straight line, its not a triple flow)

its about 2db louder than legal (which is bugger all anyway) but on the highway i cant even hear it, though it sits at 2200rpm at 100km/h.

so the answer to your question is yes.

·
Village Idiot
2,526 Posts
If u want it quiet just get 2 straight through mufflers.

Straight throughs are the highest flowing design, and with 1 it isnt too loud, so with 2 it should be pretty quiet.

I hadf a berkley on on my last car, and it deepened the sound a bit.

Berkley/walker/lukey will all be pretty comparable.
Just tell ya exhaust guy what u want

·
Often has bolts left over
848 Posts
Is it much more expensive to get a quiet performace exhaust? My next car will be a V8 fairlane, I dont want noise.. just power.

·
EFII Ghia owner
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for your replys
what type are the standard muflers?
I am thinking of keeping the same basic setup, but using a 2.5inch pipe and getting streight through mufflers to replace all the originals, so having 1 main muffler, an intermidiate muffler,and a resonator. what do u guys think?

·
Village Idiot
2,526 Posts
Barry V it will probably be a little more expensive for a quiet exhaust. Standard 2.5" ones go for 230-300ish (for a 6cyl), and another good straight through muffler cost $120ish. May be a bit cheaper if its all done at once.

EF Dave, that sounds alright.
Talk to the exhaust guys as they might have a different, maybe beter/cheaper, way of doing it. But that sounds like it would be pretty quiet.

·
CK 302
160 Posts
Wouldnt it be good if someone would post a catalogue of various exhaust systems sounds and then include costs and benefits section, then we could all log on, choose what sound we liked, and order it. Seems everyone has different opinions on the best type of system for any application.
On second thought, yeah, dum idea.

·
Village Idiot
2,526 Posts
There are some sample clips on the Lukey site.
I dont like most of them but.
I think the eb(??) has the best note there

Ill try find a link

·
Village Idiot
2,526 Posts

·
Ford Appreciation Society
3,666 Posts
EF_Dave said:
I'm asking this, because id love the extra power from a free flowing exaust but ill probably find the noise from the exhaust to get anoying on long trips whilst just cruising, Which i do quite often

What about using extra sound deadening? That'll make it quieter on the inside!

·
EFII Ghia owner
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
EBXR said:
What about using extra sound deadening? That'll make it quieter on the inside!
Its preety hard to stop low frequencies

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
I too have the preference of having a relatively quiet exhaust but at the same time to have a decent flow system to get better power than the standard.

The best system i found and have used on both Falcons (EF Wagon and AUII XR6) is a Mercury 2.5inch mandrel bent front with a hotdog resonator and a straight thru muffler. This seems to be the quietest 2.5inch bolton front half. For the rear half of the muffler get a 2.5inch mandrel bent system with a straight thru muffler.

This system is definitly the quietest 2.5inch system for a Falcon but its still louder/deeper than a standard system which i think is a good thing.
A few of the guys here have heard the system and the general comment is that my XR6 has a nice note without the droany sound, yet it still has the nice sophisticated engine sound over the exhaust.

·
Experimental Racer#6
8,192 Posts
If you want loud go Lukey.

I have a 2.5" Humex exaust, two straight through mufflers, a HSV cat and extractors.
You ask anyone who has heard my car, its pretty quiet at idle, dawdles along at 60, 80, 100, 110 with bugger all noise, but when you up it, thats when it has the sound.
I Have had loud systems on Falcons before, most sound shit.
If you want Factoryquiet(maybe a tiny bit louder) go for somthing along these lines.

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
TIKFD6 said:
Yeah your right there, the rear muffler assembly on the XR6 is a Lukey and must say if i changed the rear muffler with an ESA or Redback i think i could get it sound sweeter than it is.

·
Village Idiot
2,526 Posts
TIKFD6 said:

I have a 2.5" Humex exaust, two straight through mufflers, a HSV cat and extractors.
You ask anyone who has heard my car, its pretty quiet at idle, dawdles along at 60, 80, 100, 110 with bugger all noise, but when you up it, thats when it has the sound.
I Have had loud systems on Falcons before, most sound shit.
If you want Factoryquiet(maybe a tiny bit louder) go for somthing along these lines.
Humex? Never heardof that. Who did u get it through?
Im tossing up over my next setup, and wouldnt mind something that is generally quiet, but gets going if i plant the foot :)

·
Village Idiot
2,526 Posts
Wouldnt have a part number by chance?
Ill ask about em next time, cant say ive heard of them round here but

1 - 20 of 25 Posts