Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm new here and I bought myself a 1990 30th Anniversary model EA Falcon GL a few days ago but have been having some problems with it and hopefully could get some help from anybody here whos got any info I could use.

Its got the 3.9lit CFI motor and 4spd auto but I suspect theres something up with the engine because I cant seem to get any power from the car at all when I plant my foot down.

Its supposed to have 120kW and 311Nm torque from the specs I've read but it feels like I've got only half of that. Its got no pickup in any gears, I cant even beat an econobox Corolla in a drag race.

I'm not sure what the previous owner has done or rather not done to keep this falcon in shape but can anybody give me any tips what I could do to get it running at optimal performance again?
I do know that its roadworthy and only had a serviced checkup done to it 6months ago.
I've tried a few things already like changing the air filter and draining and flushing the radiator and putting in new coolant as well as installing a new battery.

If anybody could give me a helpful hand it would be much appreciated.
I'm just a little disappointed at the moment with the performance my falcon is doing.

Thanks!

·
EB wagon
932 Posts
Could be anything really... somethings to check tho. If your car is running (idling) bad or hesitating while accelerating, then its probable to be a fuel delivery problem. As said, check the fuel pump / filter or get a pressure test done. Also maybe the injectors. Try getting em cleaned or replaced. Hows the engine temp? If its running hot, could be an exhaust blockage. If its bad enuf, u will hear it hissing. Somethings to try out.

Cheers

Brent

·
No longer around
4,882 Posts
sounds like a snapped or streched throttle cable.

you didnt say it was running like a dog, just that it deosnt feel powerful, a streched throttle cable just wont allow the throttle butterfly to open fully, so it'd be like your just at part throttle when you think your at full throttle.

·
Pimpin the chrome
771 Posts
When i bought my EA it was very sluggish, and as wayne (madnc_8) said, it was my accelerator cable. Visited Pickapart and got a real good one for $10. Suddenly my car seems to have about 40% more power, meaning that i only have to press down 20% of what i did before and it takes off.

·
WHAT THE?
925 Posts
im tipping your car doesn't have cruise control so if you look on the throttle body where the accelerator cable joins up, there should be a free spot underneath it where the cruise control cable usually goes. just disconnect your accelerator cable and move it down to the cruise control linkup point. This will take up the slack in the accelerator cable and make it feel much tighter....and it will also open the throttle more when you put your foot down. Then you don't have to buy a new cable.

other than that it could be heaps of things. dirty fuel filter, fuel pump on it's way out, cat convertor could be blocked, injectors could be dirty, cyls down on compression, etc etc

can you give us a more detailed description of what the car is actually doing like if its mis-firing, got a flat spot etc etc.

·
No longer around
4,882 Posts
doug, correct me if im wrong, but i dont believe the CFI throttlebody has the provisions for the cruise control hookup, thats why "Spope" had to make a small linkage to connect his cable for cruise

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey everybody thanks for all the help so far.
I'm not very mechanically minded but I'll try and explain anything you need to know as best as I can.

The car isnt misfiring as far as I know, there arent any 'bangs' or weird noises I can hear coming from it.
I dont know what you mean by a 'flat spot' but it seems to accelerate steadily most of the time but the falcon wont seem to accelerate any harder nor go much faster when I put the foot to the floor.
I do occassionally get sudden unexpected power urges while I accelerate but that could be due to the gear change. Its hard to tell when its changing gear because the engine just doesnt rev very high at all.

The previous owner also told me that he recently changed the middle part of the exhaust system and the car is very quiet.
It starts fairly well but occassionally idles awkwardly as if its going to conk out.
The engine temp used to be pretty bad fluctuating alot into the high temp area but since I got a new air filter and flushed the radiator as well as putting in brand new coolant the engine temp runs lower although will rise a little higher than normal every now and then.

I have no idea where my throttlebody or accel cable is nor what they look like so I cant check that out.
With the possible fuel pump/filter/injectors as the problems, is there any way I can inspect and replace them myself? As I'm not very good with the mechanical side of cars.

If theres anything else you need to know I'll try and explain it as best I can.

Thanks again!

·
Pimpin the chrome
771 Posts
CFI EA's never had Cruise control in them. all Ghia's that had them had MPFI and the aftermarket cruise controls connected onto the accelerator cable

·
Vroom vroom
233 Posts
Correct. There is no linkage on the cfi throttle body for an additional cable. The only link is for a kickdown cable, clearly not applicable here.
I'd suggest definately trying another throttle cable, they are easy as to remove, just pull off the aircleaner assembly and you'll see the connection. There should be no slack in it at all. If there is, it'll need to be replaced.
Do you know if it is running rich? Ie, any black stuff out of the exhaust?
I'd try as a first step whacking a bottle of injector cleaner in your tank and see what happens.

·
Registered
80 Posts
spope your comment about running rich..... black stuff out of the exhaust. mine does that. its like sooty stuff, no smell with a consistency of water but black as. only happens when i start..... is it moisture build up or something else. ran some injector cleaner through it the other day. should i be looking into it?

also with this dudes ea. obviously automatic.... could it be the bands need adjusting. reading the ford manual last night coz my autos playing up and bands that need adjusting cause dead spots, lack of power, sluggish acceleration etc.

cheers

·
E-Series wagon owner
1,929 Posts
SPHELL said:
im tipping your car doesn't have cruise control so if you look on the throttle body where the accelerator cable joins up, there should be a free spot underneath it where the cruise control cable usually goes. just disconnect your accelerator cable and move it down to the cruise control linkup point. This will take up the slack in the accelerator cable and make it feel much tighter....and it will also open the throttle more when you put your foot down. Then you don't have to buy a new cable.

other than that it could be heaps of things. dirty fuel filter, fuel pump on it's way out, cat convertor could be blocked, injectors could be dirty, cyls down on compression, etc etc

can you give us a more detailed description of what the car is actually doing like if its mis-firing, got a flat spot etc etc.
you recon this would work with an perfectly normal mpi? i'm just thonking i can get more get up and go out of it trying that mod

·
Chasing down oil leaks...
836 Posts
Also in the mechanical autos when the bands get loose the car still revs but doesn't pick up at all - and if it gets bad enough it will slip out of gear and rev, rev, rev, clunk back in and go. My 3psd does this when i go fast out of a corner. But obviously not applicable here.

I'm assuming that you have driven other cars to compare the sluggish feel to? But as with everyone i'd say the throttle cable, also check that it isn't bent or frayed which can cause it to stick.

Welcome to the Forums.

Dan..

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
mad_ea_spac said:
you recon this would work with an perfectly normal mpi? i'm just thonking i can get more get up and go out of it trying that mod
Unless your cable is streched it'll do nothing but reduce the control you have over the throttle.

·
WHAT THE?
925 Posts
MADNC_8 said:
doug, correct me if im wrong, but i dont believe the CFI throttlebody has the provisions for the cruise control hookup, thats why "Spope" had to make a small linkage to connect his cable for cruise

ah yeah sorry guys i didn't read the thread properly. I just assumed it was mpfi....

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey everybody, well I went out today and bought myself a new fuel filter and some fuel doctor liquid.

Its not the transmission fluid I dont think cause I checked it and its still got plenty.
This fuel doctor bottle I bought apparently cleans out your fuel system (tank, injectors, filter, etc) of any rubbish that may be in there so that could also help me but I havent tried to put in it yet cause I need to add it when I go for a fuel refill.

Now, just need some help with installing the fuel filter.
I basically have almost no idea how to install one. Infact I dont even know where the fuel filter is on my car!
Could anybody please give me the run down on how I can replace my old filter with this new one?

I also havent been able to check my accelerator cable or throttle body? Where is it located and how would I be able to adjust it if it is loose or damaged and the main cause why my Falcon is running poorly?

Thanks again!

1 - 20 of 79 Posts