Ford Forums banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
the fuel filter is under the front passenger floor. It's pretty hard to miss(just follow the fuel lines, and it's just held on by clamps. I'll let someone else explain how to remove it, as i copped a face full of petrol. :fraz:

The throtle cable is the black one going over the middle of the rocker cover. Follow that, and you will find you throttle body. Check it for cracks and shit too.. :)

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hi Dude,

I once a had a CFI EA Falcon and it too was gutless. A few things that improved it's performance was to get the 4spd auto serviced. It seemed to have a habit(tranny) after 20min to go into limp home`mode and the car would have no power as it is stuck in 3rd. Have you tried manually shifting it through gears, does it improve performance? A stretched accelerator cable too will also give you poor throttle response. Also check the ignition timing, advancing it by 4 degrees does make a significant acceleration improvement(run it on premium though).

I converted my car to multipoint about 4months ago, so much more power now. You should really consider this mod if you what to kick 4cyl toyota's. Hope this was some help but the old CFI and 4spd auto just don't really put out that much power until you get it above 60km. Thats why multipoint is the go, drive a multipoint car and you will notice a huge difference in acceleration off the line.

Cheers Luke.

·
Pimpin the chrome
771 Posts
Whats with your brake booster DPK83? looks like its falling apart

·
Super Moderator
3,594 Posts
4 Speed Auto's don't have bands, they are electronically controlled
Yes BTR 4 speed autos have electronic solenoid valves to control shift feel etc but they also DO have front and rear bands just like most autos and just like most they need periodic adjustment.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
jjj said:
Hi Dude,

I once a had a CFI EA Falcon and it too was gutless. A few things that improved it's performance was to get the 4spd auto serviced. It seemed to have a habit(tranny) after 20min to go into limp home`mode and the car would have no power as it is stuck in 3rd. Have you tried manually shifting it through gears, does it improve performance? A stretched accelerator cable too will also give you poor throttle response. Also check the ignition timing, advancing it by 4 degrees does make a significant acceleration improvement(run it on premium though).

I converted my car to multipoint about 4months ago, so much more power now. You should really consider this mod if you what to kick 4cyl toyota's. Hope this was some help but the old CFI and 4spd auto just don't really put out that much power until you get it above 60km. Thats why multipoint is the go, drive a multipoint car and you will notice a huge difference in acceleration off the line.

Cheers Luke.
Hey there Luke thanks for the info!
How much did it cost you to get the auto serviced? I'm just a little short on cash at the moment so I would rather try and do as much of the work myself as possible.
My accelerator cable could be the main cause as I had a little look at it this afternoon and it seemed to be in poor condition.
What is this ignition timing you are talking about and how do I advance it?

I would like to convert mine to MPFI also but I'm guessing it would be a real pain in the arse not to mention very costly.
Could you run me through the basics in how I can go about addressing these problems as I'm not much of a mechanically minded person.

I'm still trying to find the fuel filter, I checked under the passengers side door but couldnt see anything.

Thanks!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Ok your fuel filter will be up near the rear wheel on the passager side. The 30th EA models had relocated fuel filters. It will probably be pop rivited in so you may need to drill out the rivits and put some new ones in. Go buy yourself a Gregorys manual for EA falcons. It will set you back $30 from supercheap auto but it explains to you everything you need to know. For example pictures of where the fuel filter is, how to adjust your timing, how to check and/or replace your throttle cable. It is user friendly and is written to be used by home mechanics.

The auto was about $160 for a full service. that includes band adjustments, new oil, new gaskets and mesh screen etc.

Cheers Luke.

·
"Steve has a car?"
2,207 Posts
MPFI conversion isn't very costly if you do it yourself, and not overly hard. There's enough information on this forum and enough resources to help you get through it. From a wrecker, the parts should amount from about $200-$250. IMO all EA/EB CFI setups should be burnt.

Have you tried any of our suggestions yet?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Hey everybody sorry I havent replied in awhile I've had no internet access for the last week or so.

Anyway, what I've done to my EA Falcon in the meantime;
I've replaced the spark plugs, changed the oil, air and fuel filters.
It seams to be running a little better now but I'm convinced theres still more power I can unlock in it by tuning it more.

I had a look at the accelerator cable and it looks damaged plus the accelerator pedal feels loose. I guess I need to replace the cable but I dont know how to do it, could somebody please explain how I can go about doing it?
Also I might need to service the transmission. I cant seem to find the place where I can add more automatic transmission fluid in the engine bay. I can see the dipstick but I cant identify where I can add more fluid.
Can anybody help me out on this one please?

Thanks!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Oh ok. I didnt know it goes into the dipstick tube, I always thought it worked similar to putting oil in where it had a separate opening.

By the way I forgot to mention, something has been really bothering me lately about my car.... the engine temperature. The temp guage keeps going quite high after using the car for a certain period of time.
I mean I had this problem when I first got the car but after I changed the coolant and air filter the engine ran quite cool and seemed to stay in the lower normal engine temp area.
But up until recently now my engine temp guage keeps going higher up in the normal area almost hitting the dangerous level.
I changed the oil, oil filter and spark plugs in an attempt to rectify this problem but it still gets hot.

I mean the engine temp runs quite cool for around 10 mins but then starts getting hot really quick after that. The coolant is still full in the radiator and the fan is working so I have no idea why this is happening.

If anybody has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Chasing down oil leaks...
836 Posts
Possibly a stuffed thermostat?

Does it just keep going up or does it go up and down, up and down?

Dan..

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
try replacing your thermostat.. Mine did the same thing, but opposite. It wouldn't heat up! They're cheap, and also easy to replace.

also, check your oil cap isn't looking milky... :fraz:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Axeman82 said:
Possibly a stuffed thermostat?

Does it just keep going up or does it go up and down, up and down?

Dan..
It fluctuates. Starts off very cold for around 7 mins of driving then starts going up slowly till it gets pretty high but it does go down and up, sometimes it will go from being really hot to more cooler.
Its not the thermostat playing up because when the guage indicates the engine temp is really hot I park the car and can smell something burnt coming from the engine bay so I'm guessing it really is hot.

·
"Steve has a car?"
2,207 Posts
ssj_jaypee said:
It fluctuates. Starts off very cold for around 7 mins of driving then starts going up slowly till it gets pretty high but it does go down and up, sometimes it will go from being really hot to more cooler.
Its not the thermostat playing up because when the guage indicates the engine temp is really hot I park the car and can smell something burnt coming from the engine bay so I'm guessing it really is hot.
Do you know what a thermostat is?? Sounds like you think it's a sensor of some sought. It's actually like a valve that opens and closes depending on engine temperature. It stops the water circulation and periodically releases it back into the radiator so that the engine can warm up rather than running cold all the time. When a thermostat is buggered, the water can often be released "too late" if you will, and causes the engine to get into the "danger" zone before it recirculates the water and the temp goes back down, hence you get fluctuating temperature. So i would put my money on a buggered thermostat....

The burning smell could simply be a slight oil leak burning on the engine block or similar...

·
EA-S MPI 5-Speed
403 Posts
check that your headgasket hasnt gone. (look for milky white crap under oil filler cap) and yeah check the thermostat. new one isnt expensive and its good peice of mind to know if u get a new one u wont have that issue for a while again

·
'90 EA-II Fairmont
572 Posts
accellerator/throttle cable is easy...

engine side remove the retaining clip with some needle nose pliers (Dont lose it!), unscrew the plastic part (at the end of the spring) and remove that end from the throttle body area

in car, undo the nuts holding the accel pedal on (13mm i think? you may need to put the socket on then the extension as the bolts are fairly long) pull out accel pedal, then using pliers again remove the black and yellow plastic clips from their retainers...

then pull the whole cable out by pulling the engine side into the car thru the firewall.

Installation is the reverse or removal, put it all in from the inside of the car..

·
Registered
18 Posts
If your car is running hot then its gonna be a pig to drive and is gonna guzzle fuel as well , I'd look at the radiator first , quite possibly blocked . If your oxy sensor is pretty old it might be a good idea to replace that as well . Nothing sucks off power more then a car thats running hot and rich.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Hey fellas whats been happening?

Okay today I finally got around to replacing the thermo stat. But not before I took the car out for a drive so I'm not sure if it has done anything because the engine temp still gets quite hot.
I'll have to find out tomorrow whether getting the new thermo stat actually worked.
If not, what else could be the problem? The radiator shouldnt be blocked as I flushed it out with a hose not long ago.

Whats an oxy sensor and how do I replace one?

Cheers!

21 - 40 of 79 Posts