Ford Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Australian Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if anyone knows the power output of a 72 xa falcon with a 351c. It's just that I found a place with one that looks great and for a decent price, but I don't know if it's p-plate legal. Basically, the way I figure it, 125 kw per tonne means that, if the xa weighs 1500kg, it can be anything up to 187.5kw before it's illegal for me to drive it. But I can't find any info on the power output OR the weight of an xa. :confused:

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
gruntly.. a 351 in a XA (or any ford ) is NOT P Plate legal ....the stupid thing is that as the power was measured gross 300hp/224 Kw for the 4v, later cars which were actually faster.. An EA MPEFI manual is easily equal to a standard XA GT and completely legal as its only 139 kw...net
If you want a 351 .. buy a 302 and stroke it .. leave the red rocker covers on, have the original engine in the car that matches the compliance plates which will say its a 302...there is no way to tell them apart visually.
You can get an exemption from this law if you tow horses or a big boat or if your job requires you to drive cars over the KW/Tonne limit .. ie a mechanic
hope this helps

·
Australian Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks XA :D Turns out the car in question, an XA sedan with only 44000 miles on the clock for $2000, was sold about a month back. :fmad: I wasn't really interested in the V8 (would have been much happier if it was the 6) but the condition plus the price equalled mass hysteria on my part. Probably for the best that I didn't buy it then, huh?

Anyway, could you explain this gross vs. net calculation thing to me? Just that one of my friends seems to think it legal, but I think chances are he's wrong and you're right. It's driving me :CraZ:

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
I can guarantee that its not P Plate legal .. it used to be my job to know that .. amongst other things :D :D :D :D

Gross Vs Nett .. Once upon a time power was measured with no water pump/alternator/air filter/anything ... this gave you a measure that was really only good for comparative purposes.. there is no way to really recreate it in a car..

Nett is with all those things added .. plus probably an exhaust ( I am not 100% sure of that ). This means that the power figure quoted is far more realistic

I cant remember the exact ratio but I think the formula is 125 KW / Tonne ..

a 1975 351 4V was rated at 300 hp (224 kw) a 1982 was 149Kw .. even taking into account pollution stuff .. thats a huge difference.

hope this is of help

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Im no expert on older Falcons, but in XYs and XAs, the Non-GT 351s had around 160-180Kw or something??

The different between Net and Gross Hp is usually quoted to be between 10-15%

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
XA coupe said:
Early 2v 351's were 250 hp .. whatever that converts to
250hp = 185kW

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
185kw in todays money is heaps more that 185kw back then.

Anyway .. put some orange rocker covers on it, a 302 decal on the air cleaner and make sure no references to 5.8 or 351 anywhere and you would have to find a very knowledagble copper to find you out !!!

·
Australian Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmmm, I think I'll have to get one of those lists you mentioned, best to be on the safe side.

Oh, and if anyone is interested in an XT GT, there's one in the Melbourne Trading Post for $5500. Apparently it needs a bit of paint and a tune up. I'm not sure, but that doesn't sound like a half bad deal to me. :eek:

·
BSR Twin System (tm)
4,751 Posts
XA V8 Engine factory rated outputs

302 Cleveland 2 Barrel 240 hp (180 kw)

351 Cleveland 2 Barrel 260 hp (195 kw)

351 Cleveland 4 Barrel 300 hp (225 kw)

Hope this helps

·
BSR Twin System (tm)
4,751 Posts
Factory worshop manuals, brochures etc. from the period.

·
In a blue Galaxy
5,716 Posts
yes I was under the impression that the stock 351 was 195kw too.

·
Australian Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If the XA/XB/XC body weights over 1560kg, that means that the 2 barrel carby 351 is p-plate legal, while the 4 barrel isn't! Oh boy is that going to be confusing. :CraZ:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts