Ford Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have my EA back on the road after replacing head gasket.
Thanks to everyone that helped with the torque settings.
Over all every thing running really well, apart from a noisy lifter.
But one thing that worries me is that the power steer pump has a humming sound, wasn’t there before I done the head gasket??
I thought it could have been the water pump but done the old screwdriver to the ear trick and I’m 100% sure it’s the power steer.
Any ideas?
Thanks guys!

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
has it got fluid ??

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"has it got fluid ??"

Ha Ha Ha....sorry....yep!!

First thing I checked.

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
Belt too tight, check the tension on it, maybe back it off a little and see if fixes it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the belt just tight enough so when I turn to full lock it doesnt squeal.

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
Well what about this, take the belt off and confirm 100% source of the noise :0)

cause i am plain scratching for straws now :(

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
something I never thought of ;-)
I,ll go and give it a try.
Thanks for your help mate
Cheers!

·
known as tibbo
2,033 Posts
try and spray some silicone lube or that dry glide onto the shaft that mounts the pulley

When you were doing the head gasket did you take the pump off completely or just let it hang down beside the block? You might have slightly bent the shaft?

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
Sounds like you have air in there. Have you turned from lock to lock? Check that the return line is not sucking in air also and there is no crimps on flex lines...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I removed the belt and yes it is coming from the pump.
When I did the head gasket I just let the pump sit to the side(I put a old blanket under the pump so it was supported)
Yes I have checked all the lines and turned from lock to lock everything looks and works as normal but just the humming sound.
The fluid is a very dark color, like would changing fluid make any dif?(I,m grabbing at straws now ;-)
Looked into prices at local wreckers for a second hand pump around $120 to $165(I,m in Hobart)
Hope I dont need to do that, would like to be able to fix old one :-(
Cheers!

·
Banned
3,104 Posts
Does the pulley run straight?

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
epox, when i have done work on my car, i treated the power steering unit like crap moved it here moved it there, i would suggest this, you get crap in the bottom of the pump, in moving it around you moved all this, it is not clogging it possibly, so I would suggest looking into a flush and clean.

Remove the pump from the car, and empty it, dont know how to drain the rest though.

Anyone able to help on that ??

Jason

·
Registered
85 Posts
Might be the bearings in the pump. I stuffed mine by too much tension on the belt and it started to get a weird vibration about it. The oil being dark indicates its probably stuffed.

Heres somthing worth trying. Change the oil and see if it improves the noise problem. I changed mine not so long ago and it got rid of most of the operating noises. (you know those hissing pissing sounds as you swing those 245s on the front around). Im also going to install a power steering cooler to look after the vitals and oil. Im using an old gearbox cooler that has a low restriction on the flow of oil. Dont know if its going to work.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts