Ford Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back I had some power steering issues, one mechanic could not get it working right, another mechanic had it working better, but not great, the second mechanic had to redo it a third time. Something that should have costed well under $200 had cost me over $600.

The pump was never perfect after that, and I thought maybe I had to replace the R&P, mostly because there was a lot of creaking.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago, steering was gradually getting stiffer, I replaced an inner tie rod last week, they didn't do an alignment and I had to wait a week to get one done, got it done and the steering was a little better but on certain turn its got a little stutter, and when the wheel is really slow going back to the middle going from right to left, but mostly ok going from left to right. Sometimes when I'm turning left into a parking spot, and certain turns, it feels like it's jumpy.

Today I was in a parking spot, backed up straight, put it in drive and turned the wheel to the left, it got stuck, wouldn't turn until I took my foot off the brake. Last time my wheel was stuck like that was when the screwed up on the pump the first time, wheel only moved when I was off the brake and driving.

I asked the mechanic who got it working back then if they could check out the pump and hoses to make sure that it's not that, but they say it has to be the rack.

Any input would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
7,785 Posts
A couple of things here, first, I lean towards what they are saying about the rack on the locking up part, not necessarily about the stiffness. You may have 2 different issues going on. Second, I've personally not had a lot of luck with re-manufactured power steering pumps and racks. Third, power steering hoses may be coming into play here as well. You didn't mention which van you have, but they're all on the older side. Check to see if any of the hoses are "squishy".

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A couple of things here, first, I lean towards what they are saying about the rack on the locking up part, not necessarily about the stiffness. You may have 2 different issues going on. Second, I've personally not had a lot of luck with re-manufactured power steering pumps and racks. Third, power steering hoses may be coming into play here as well. You didn't mention which van you have, but they're all on the older side. Check to see if any of the hoses are "squishy".
Sorry, didn't know I had a reply. No one can find any issue with the parts, though they do recognized there is an issue. The steering has never been the same since the last repair. and since the alignment the symptoms are the same as they were when the pump was not working. I still believe it is the pump.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts